A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - August 23, 2015

1 view

A Book of Concord Reading

Aug 12, 2015, 8:20:04 AM8/12/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the Ephesians 5:22-33 for the Pentecost 13,
series B, August 23, 2015.

It is from Large Catechism, Part I, pages 383-384.

The young should be guided so that they desire the married estate
and know that it is a blessed estate and pleases God.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Proper%2016%20B,E.doc

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@fishers.net

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
PENTECOST 13, SERIES B
LARGE CATECHISM
THE SEVENTH COMMANDMENT

I speak of this in order that the young may be guided so that
they desire the married estate and know that it is a blessed
estate and pleases God. For in this way, over time we might
cause married life to be restored to honor. There might be less
of the filthy, loose, disorderly behavior that runs riot the
world over in open prostitution and other shameful vices arising
from disregard for married life. It is the duty of parents and
the government to see to it that our youth are brought up with
discipline and respectability. When they have become mature,
parents and government should provide for them to marry in the
fear of God and honorably. God would not fail to add His
blessing, so that people would have joy and happiness from
marriage.

In conclusion this commandment demands: Everyone should live
chaste in thought, word, and deed in the estate of marriage.
But also everyone should love and value the spouse God gave to
him. Where marital chastity is to be maintained, man and wife
must live together in love and harmony. Then one may cherish
the other from the heart and with complete faithfulness. For
harmony is one of the principal points that enkindles love and
desire for chastity, so that, where this is found, chastity will
follow without any command. St. Paul diligently encourages
husband and wife to love and honor one another.
(paragraphs
217-220)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-08-23