A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - February 8, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Jan 28, 2015, 8:20:05 AM1/28/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the Mark 1:29-39 for the Epiphany 5, series B,
February 8, 2015.

It is from Treatise, pages 298-299.

Christ and His Church bring the kingdom of God to earth by the
preaching of the gospel, not through political power.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Epiphany%205%20B,G.doc
.. a reading formatted for a 14" Premium Bulletin is available
by contacting us.

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@bookofconcord.org

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
EPIPHANY 5, SERIES B
TREATISE
POWER AND PRIMACY OF THE POPE

Christ gave the apostles only spiritual power (i.e., the command
to teach the Gospel, to announce the forgiveness of sins, to
administer the Sacraments, to excommunicate the godless without
bodily force ãby the Wordõ). He did not give them the power of
the sword. For Christ says, "Go Ö teaching them to observe all
that I have commanded you" (Matthew 28:19-20). Also, "As the
Father has sent Me, even so I am sending you" (John 20:21).

It is clear that Christ was not sent to bear the sword or
possess a worldly kingdom, as He Himself says, "My kingdom is
not of this world" (John 18:36).

[A Contrast between Christ and the Pope]

Christ in His passion is crowned with thorns and led forth to be
ridiculed in royal purple. This symbolizes that in the future,
after His spiritual kingdom was despised (i.e., the Gospel was
suppressed), another kingdom of a worldly kind would be set up
with the appearance of churchly power. (So the Constitution of
Boniface VIII and similar opinions are false and godless, for
they argue that the pope is by divine right the ruler of the
kingdoms of the world.) From this notion, horrible darkness has
been brought into the Church. The ministry of the Gospel was
neglected and knowledge of faith and the spiritual kingdom
became extinct. Christian righteousness was assumed to be the
outward government the pope had established. (paragraphs 31-34)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-02-08