A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - November 1, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Oct 21, 2015, 8:20:10 AM10/21/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the Hebrews 9:11-22 for the Pentecost 23, Proper
26, series B, November 1, 2015.

It is from Apology of the Augsburg Confession, Article V, page
109.

We have a gracious God because of Christ's satisfaction and not
because of our fulfilling the Law. Christ is our only
mediator.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Proper%2026%20B,E.doc

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@fishers.net

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
PENTECOST 23, PROPER 26, SERIES B
APOLOGY OF THE AUGSBURG CONFESSION
ARTICLE V, LOVE AND FULFILLING THE LAW

We are counted righteous for Christ's sake being reconciled
through faith. This is not because of the Law or our works.
Because of faith, beginning to fulfill the Law pleases God.
Because of faith, there is no charge that we fulfill the Law
imperfectly, even though the sight of our impurity terrifies us.
Our love and works do not justify. Christ's death and
satisfaction ought to be placed far above our purity, far above
the Law itself. This truth ought to be set before us so that we
can be sure of this: We have a gracious God because of Christ's
satisfaction and not because of our fulfilling the Law. Paul
teaches this in Galatians 3:13, when he says, "Christ redeemed
us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us." This
means that the Law condemns all people. But Christ謡ithout
sin揺as borne the punishment of sin. He has been made a victim
for us and has removed that right of the Law to accuse and
condemn those who believe in Him. He Himself is the Atonement
for them. For His sake they are now counted righteous. Since
they are counted righteous, the Law cannot accuse or condemn
them, even though they have not actually satisfied the Law. The
remnants of sin do not condemn you. For Christ's sake we have a
sure and firm reconciliation, if you believe, even though sin
dwells in your flesh.
(paragraphs 56-58)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-11-01