A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - June 14, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Jun 3, 2015, 8:20:04 AM6/3/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the 2 Corinthians 5:1-10 for the Pentecost 3,
Proper 6, series B, June 14, 2015.

It is from Apology, Article II, page 80.

Now we live in an earthly "tent" where we groan as we struggle
with our sinful desires. In heaven we will have an eternal
"building" in heaven free from sinful desires.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Proper%206%20B,E.doc
.. a reading formatted for a 14" Premium Bulletin is available by
contacting us.

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@bookofconcord.org

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
PENTECOST 3, PROPER 6, SERIES B
APOLOGY
ARTICLE II, ORIGINAL SIN

Our adversaries attack Martin Luther because he wrote that
"original sin remains after Baptism." They add that this point
was justly condemned by Leo X. But His Imperial Majesty will
discover a clear slander on this point. Our adversaries know in
what sense Luther intended this remark that original sin remains
after Baptism. Luther always writes that Baptism removes the
guilt of original sin. However, the material, as they call it,
of the sin (concupiscence) remains. He also adds that the Holy
Spirit, given through Baptism, begins to put to death the
concupiscence and begins to create new movements within a
person. Augustine speaks in the same way when he says, is
forgiven in Baptism, not in such a way that it no longer exists,
but so that it is not charged." Here he confesses openly that
sin exists. It remains, although it is not counted against us
any longer. Augustine's judgment was so agreeable to those who
came after him that it is often quoted in the decrees of Church
councils. Augustine says:

The Law, which is in the members, has been overturned by
spiritual regeneration and remains in the mortal flesh. It has
been overturned because the guilt has been forgiven in the
Sacrament, by which believers are born again; but it remains,
because it produces desires, against which believers struggle.
(paragraphs 35-36)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-06-14