A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - August 9, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Jul 29, 2015, 8:20:03 AM7/29/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the Ephesians 4:17 - 5:2 for the Pentecost 11,
series B, August 9, 2015.

It is from Solid Declaration, Article II, page 534.

As a child of God our old sinful nature, "corrupt through
deceitful desires," is still with us and we need to follow the
guidance of the Holy spirit and "put off our old self."

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Proper%2014%20B,E.doc

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@fishers.net

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
PENTECOST 11, SERIES B
SOLID DECLARATION
ARTICLE II, FREE WILL

[NEGATIVE STATEMENTS] We reject the following teaching of the
popes and monks: after regeneration a person can completely
fulfill God's Law in this life, and through this fulfillment of
the Law he is righteous before God and merits eternal life.

On the other hand, the enthusiasts should be rebuked with great
seriousness and zeal. They should not be tolerated in any way
in God's Church. They imagine that God, without any means,
without the hearing of the divine Word, and without the use of
the holy Sacraments, draws people to Himself, enlightens,
justifies, and saves them.

We should also rebuke those who imagine that in conversion and
regeneration God creates a new heart and new person in such a
way that the substance and essence of the old Adam, and
especially the rational soul, are completely destroyed, and a
new essence of the soul is created out of nothing. St.
Augustine clearly rebukes this error in őhis comments onŤ Psalm
25, where he quotes the passage from Paul [in Ephesians 4:22],
"Put off your old self ů" Augustine explains this in the
following words:

Lest anyone might think that the essence of a person is to be
laid aside, he explains what it is to lay aside the old man, and
to put on the new, when he says: "Putting away lying, speak the
truth."
(paragraphs 79-81)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-08-09