A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - August 2, 2015

1 view

A Book of Concord Reading

Jul 22, 2015, 8:20:05 AM7/22/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the John 6:22-35 for the Pentecost 10, series B,
August 2, 2015.

It is from Large Catechism, Part III, page 414.

Jesus was trying to help those who came to Him looking for bread.
Jesus wanted them to look to Him who could give them "the food
that endures to eternal life."

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Proper%2013%20B,G.doc

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@fishers.net

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
PENTECOST 10, SERIES B
LARGE CATECHISM
PART III, THE LORD担 PRAYER

We pray that many may find entrance into the kingdom of grace, be
made partakers of redemption, and be led to it by the Holy
Spirit, so that we may all together remain forever in the one
kingdom now begun.

For the coming of God's kingdom to us happens in two ways: (a)
here in time through the Word and faith; and (b) in eternity
forever through revelation. Now we pray for both these things.
We pray that the kingdom may come to those who are not yet in it,
and, by daily growth that it may come to us who have received it,
both now and hereafter in eternal life. All this is nothing
other than saying, "Dear Father, we pray, give us first Your
Word, so that the Gospel may be preached properly throughout the
world. Second, may the Gospel be received in faith and work and
live in us, so that through the Word and the Holy Spirit's
power, Your kingdom may triumph among us. And we pray that the
devil's kingdom be put down, so that he may have no right or
power over us, until at last his power may be utterly destroyed.
So sin, death, and hell shall be exterminated. Then we may live
forever in perfect righteousness and blessedness".

From this you see that we do not pray here for a crust of bread
or a temporal, perishable good. Instead, we pray for an eternal
inestimable treasure and everything that God Himself possesses.
(paragraphs 52-55)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-08-02