A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - February 1, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Jan 21, 2015, 3:47:35 PM1/21/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the 1 Corinthians 8:1-13 for the Epiphany 4,
series B, February 1, 2015.

It is from Epitome, Article X, pages 496-497.

We must be sensitive to weak believers who may think something we
are doing in sinful (say, drinking a beer) and turn away from the
church. It is best to suspend our conduct until we can assure
him it is not an offense against God.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Epiphany%204%20B,E.doc
.. a reading formatted for a 14" Premium Bulletin is available
by contacting us.

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@bookofconcord.org

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
EPIPHANY 4, SERIES B
EPITOME
CHURCH PRACTICES CALLED ADIAPHORA

We believe that the community of God has the power to change such
worship ceremonies in a way that may be most useful and edifying
to the community of God.

Nevertheless, all frivolity and offense should be avoided in
this matter. Special care should be taken to exercise patience
toward the weak in faith (1 Cor. 8:9; Romans 14:13).

We believe that during a time of persecution, when a plain
confession is required of us, we should not yield to the enemies
in such matters of adiaphora. For the apostle has written in
Galatians 5:1, "For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm
therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." He
also writes in 2 Corinthians 6:14, "Do not be unequally yoked
with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with
lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?" Also
note Galatians 2:5, "To them we did not yield in submission even
for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might be preserved
for you." For in such a case it is no longer a question about
adiaphora. But it concerns the truth of the Gospel, Christian
liberty, and sanctioning open idolatry. It also concerns the
prevention of offense to the weak in the faith. In such a case
we have nothing to concede. We should confess and endure what
God sends because of that confession, and whatever He allows the
enemies of His Word to inflict on us. (pars. 63-65)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-02-01