A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - April 12, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Apr 1, 2015, 8:20:03 AM4/1/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the 1 John 1:1 for the Easter 2, series B, April
12, 2015.

It is from Apology, Article V, pages 132-133.

Jesus' beloved apostle John, whom Jesus asked to care for his
mother and who witnessed Jesus' resurrection, included himself
when he wrote, "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves."
John also included himself when he wrote, "Jesus is the
propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for
the sins of the whole world."

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Easter%202%20B,E%202015.doc
.. a reading formatted for a 14" Premium Bulletin is available by
contacting us.

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@bookofconcord.org

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
EASTER 2, SERIES B
APOLOGY
ARTICLE V, LOVE AND FULFILLING THE LAW

The Church Fathers have clearly handed down the doctrine that we
need mercy even in good works.

Scripture teaches the same. "Enter not into judgment with Your
servant, for no one living is righteous before You" (Psalm
143:2). This passage denies absolutely—even to all saints and
servants of God—the glory of righteousness, if God does not
forgive, but judges and convicts their hearts. For when David
boasts about his righteousness, he speaks about his own cause
against the persecutors of God's Word. He does not speak of his
personal purity. He asks that God's cause and glory be defended,
"Judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness and according to
the integrity that is in me" (Psalm 7:8) Likewise, in Psalm
130:3, he says that no one can endure God's judgment:

"If You, O Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could
stand?"

If I wash myself with snow and cleanse my hands with lye, yet
You will plunge me into a pit. (Job 9:30-31)

Who can say, "I have made my heart pure; I am clean from my
sin"? (Proverbs 20:9)

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is
not in us. (1 John 1:8)

In the Lord's Prayer the saints ask for the forgiveness of sins.
Even the saints have sins. (paragraphs 204-208)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-04-12