A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - May 10, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Apr 29, 2015, 8:20:04 AM4/29/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the Acts 10:34-48 for the Easter 6, series B, May
10, 2015.

It is from Apology, Article XIIA, page 167.

The true church is the full number who are justified through
faith in God's promise of forgiveness for Christ's sake.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/r%20Easter%206%20B,F.doc
.. a reading formatted for a 14" Premium Bulletin is available by
contacting us.

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@bookofconcord.org

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
EASTER 6, SERIES B
APOLOGY
ARTICLE XIIA, REPENTANCE

Our adversaries cry out that they are the Church, that they are
following the general agreement of the Church. But Peter cites
here in our issue the consensus of the Church, "To Him all the
prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in Him receives
forgiveness of sins" (Acts 10:43). The general agreement of the
prophets is certainly to be judged as the general agreement of
the Church universal… By our adversaries decrees they not only
condemn the doctrine that we obtain the forgiveness of sins
through faith (not on account of our works, but because of
Christ)… Therefore, let us not hesitate to use this saying of
Peter, which summarizes the Prophets. The Holy Spirit's
testimony is added to this statement of Peter. For the text
speaks this way, "While Peter was still saying these things, the
Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word" (Acts 10:44).
Therefore, let godly consciences know that God's command is
this: They are to believe that they are freely forgiven for
Christ's sake, and not for the sake of our works. Let them
sustain themselves against despair and against the terrors of
sin and of death by this command of God. Let them know that
this belief has existed among saints from the beginning of the
world. For Peter clearly cites the general agreement of the
Prophets, and the writings of the apostles confirm that they
believe the same thing. (paragraphs 66-67, 70-73)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-05-10