A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - July 26, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Jul 15, 2015, 8:20:03 AM7/15/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the Genesis 9:8-17 for the Pentecost 9, series B,
July 26, 2015.

It is from Apology of the Augsburg Confession, Article XIIB, page
172.

After witnessing the greatest expression of God's wrath against
sin, God reminded Noah of God's mercy when He made an
everlasting covenant between God and every living creature.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at
http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Proper%2012%20B,OT.doc

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@fishers.net

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
PENTECOST 9, SERIES B
APOLOGY OF THE AUGSBURG CONFESSION
ARTICLE XIIB, CONFESSION AND SATISFACTION

Confession is mentioned at different times in the Psalms. " 'I
will confess my transgressions to the Lord,' and You forgave the
iniquity of my sin" (32:5). Such confession of sin, which is
made to God, is contrition itself. When confession is made to
God it must be made with the heart, not only with the voice.
Confession is contrition in which, feeling God's anger, we
confess that God is justly angry and that He cannot be
reconciled by our works. Yet, we seek for mercy because of
God's promise. Such is the following confession, "Against You,
You only, have I sinned … so that You may be justified in Your
words and blameless in Your judgment" (Psalm 51:4). This means,
"I confess that I am a sinner and have merited eternal wrath.
Nor can I set my righteousnesses, my merits, against Your wrath.
So I declare that You are just when You condemn and punish us.
I declare that You are clear when hypocrites judge You to be
unjust in punishing them or in condemning the well-deserving.
Yes, our merits cannot satisfy Your judgment. But we will be
justified if You justify us, if through Your mercy You count us
righteous." Perhaps someone may also cite James 5:16, "Confess
your sins to one another." But here the reference is not to
confession made to priests, but is the reconciliation of
brothers to each other. Confession should be mutual.
(paragraphs 10-12)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-07-26