A reading from the Book of Concord - 3 year series - August 30, 2015

A Book of Concord Reading

Aug 19, 2015, 8:20:04 AM8/19/15
to BOCre...@googlegroups.com

The following reading from the CONCORDIA edition of the Book of
Concord is for the Ephesians 6:10-20 for the Pentecost 14,
series B, August 30, 2015.

It is from Large Catechism, Part III, page 411-412.

We need to be constantly aware of the spiritual forces of evil in
the heavenly places and call upon our Father in Heaven for
guidance and protection.

The reading is formatted for the back of a standard CPH bulletin
at http://lcmssermons.com/images/boc/CY2015/Proper%2017%20BE.doc

Pastor Doug May
Socorro, New Mexico
dou...@fishers.net

A READING FROM THE BOOK OF CONCORD - 3 YEAR SERIES
PENTECOST 14, SERIES B
LARGE CATECHISM
PART III, THE LORD担 PRAYER

I would like to see the people learn to pray truly and not go
about coldly and indifferently. They become daily more unfit for
prayer because of indifference. That is just what the devil
desires, and for which he works with all his powers. He is well
aware what damage and harm it does him when prayer is done
properly.

We need to know this: all our shelter and protection rest in
prayer alone. For we are far too weak to deal with the devil
and all his power and followers who set themselves against us.
Therefore, we must consider and take up those weapons with which
Christians must be armed in order to stand against the devil
[Ephesians 6:11]. For what do you imagine has stopped the
counsels, purposes, murder, and riot of our enemies, by which
the devil thought he would crush us, together with the Gospel?
It was the prayer of a few godly people standing in the middle
like an iron wall for our side. Otherwise they would have
witnessed a far different tragedy. But now our enemies may
ridicule prayer and make a mockery of it. However, we shall
still be a match both for them and the devil by prayer alone, if
we only persevere diligently. For whenever a godly Christian
prays, "Dear Father, let Your will be done", God speaks from on
high and says, "Yes, dear child, it shall be so, in spite of the
devil and all the world."
(paragraphs 29-32)

Condensed from CONCORDIA: THE LUTHERAN CONFESSIONS, copyright
2005 by Concordia Publishing House. Used by permission. All
rights reserved. To purchase a copy of Concordia, visit
http://bocl.org/concordia or call 800-325-3040

View online at http://lcmssermons.com/boc.php?d=2015-08-30