What does BIM mean for civil engineers?

Neeraj Dixit

Sep 24, 2008, 11:52:23 PM9/24/08
to BIM-Fo...@googlegroups.com

Dear Fellow Group Members,

An excellent article is about to appear in a October issue of CENews. Here is the glimpse of that article. I will post the article at the right time. However you have all the options to dig out from your sources…

Road and highway projects can benefit from design using building information modeling.

What is BIM?

Building information modeling — BIM — is not a prod­uct or proprietary software program. It is an integrated pro­cess built on coordinated, reliable information about a project from design through construction and into operations. BIM is not just for architects. While it has its roots in architec­ture, the principles of BIM apply to everything that is built, including roads and highways, and the benefits of BIM are being experienced by civil engineers in the same way they are enjoyed by architects.

BIM is not just about 3-D (although that is part of it). BIM allows engineers more easily to predict the performance of projects before they are built; respond to design changes faster; optimize designs with analysis, simulation, and visualization; and deliver higher quality construction documentation. Fur­thermore, it enables extended teams to extract valuable data from the model to facilitate earlier decision making and more economic project delivery.

Drafting-centric design limitations

New workflows with BIM

BIM benefits

Constructability

Road Safety

The promise of BIM for road and highway design

Remember: I emphasized about ‘Change the conversation’ in Civil Enablement Program at Delhi & Kolkata. And this messaging gives you a shot in your ammunition.

Don’t hesitate to revert back in case you need any clarifications on our BIM messaging. Cheer up lot more in offing from Autodesk Civil Team in times to come.

Regards,

Neeraj Dixit

Civil Product Line Manager @ Autodesk

Neeraj Dixit