What time do they usually come back up?

mail.l...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2018, 8:54:22 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
What time do they usually come back up?

Wesley Kinslow

Sep 10, 2018, 9:30:26 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
It is different each time - this time seems like an unusually long maintenance period though. I'm sure it'll be back up sometime before lunch though (hopefully).

-wedgeex

Fraser

Sep 10, 2018, 9:34:29 AM9/10/18
to bgg_...@googlegroups.com
This is a migration, so not just a standard bit o' maintenance.

Chris Laudermilk

Sep 10, 2018, 9:48:57 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
Who knows. They went down late yesterday afternoon. This has been a long one and the current down page (a new one as of this morning) indicates--and what Fraser mentioned, this appears to be a server migration. That's a big job.

Kevin Smith

Sep 10, 2018, 9:56:46 AM9/10/18
to bgg_...@googlegroups.com
I remain frustrated that they don't get the word out about this in
advance. A quick note to the bgg-down mailing list would be very
helpful, for example.

I assume they posted something in BGG news. Unfortunately, there is a
longstanding reported and known bug where those posts often don't
trigger subscriptions. So folks like me, who are subscribed, get
surprised. I spend my BGG time on the subscriptions page, not the front
page, so I will never stumble on the news that way.

Kevin

theapostlegreen

Sep 10, 2018, 10:20:41 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
I thought the migration took place a week ago.  There were several consecutive days of 504's (and a few 404's), and the announcement was [paraphrasing] "pardon our dust, we're migrating to the cloud."
But it is what it is.  Hope it's going smoothly for BGG!

r d

Sep 10, 2018, 10:36:48 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
They do seem to go down more often than other social websites.

tilman chazal

Sep 10, 2018, 10:36:48 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
Well my lunch was 3 hours ago...

Clark Timmins

Sep 10, 2018, 10:36:48 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
The site is migrating to "the cloud".  I don't think there is a "usual" ETA for this type of activity as it's not been done before.

Sándor Kazi

Sep 10, 2018, 10:36:49 AM9/10/18
to bgg_...@googlegroups.com
Ah, probably this subscription bug is the issue here if you did not get the notification...

Sándor Kazi

Sep 10, 2018, 10:36:49 AM9/10/18
to bgg_...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is cloud migration.
And they DID announce and describe it their usual way.

Here's a link you can't use now:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/29926415#29926415
Check this when they're back up and consider subscribing.

Sándor Kazi
    here's another link you can't use:

Grr.

Sep 10, 2018, 10:54:40 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
A proper migration should have at most an hour or two of downtime. You make sure the new servers are up and running and tested and only after that do you transfer over the most  recent database changes and then flick the switch. As part of a company that has recently migrated all of their customers to new servers I am unfortunately intimately familiar with all of the problems that come with migration especially if they did it to the cloud. Which is cheaper but has a slew of issues.