Low-cal, high-flavor kale soup

1 view

Boyle

Nov 2, 2011, 12:04:43 PM11/2/11
to Blue Bell Recipe Swap
This is amazingly delicious and with hardly any calories/fat - a
little EVOO for the saute, and a little brown sugar to balance the
salt/spice. The first time I made it, I ate the entire pot and had to
go to the store to buy more kale & stock so I could feed my husband.
Ridiculous. The soy/chili/sugar combo is addictive. I am sure you
could make this with veggie stock to make it vegetarian.

I totally guessed on the quantities...I start every soup with onion
and garlic - use as much as you'd like. I've made it with 1 bunch of
kale, and also with more/less (depending on what I had in the
fridge). I've made it with one box of chicken stock, or 2+ (just
adjust the soy/chili/sugar - go scant for 1 box, heavy for more)...
This is totally up to personal preference.

Ingredients:
1 head of kale, cut into bite-sized ribbons (you could probably sub
any hearty green)
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 boxes chicken stock
Soy sauce to taste (1-3 Tbsp-ish)
Chili-garlic sauce to taste (1 tsp-ish)
Brown sugar to taste (1 tsp-ish)
Olive oil for sauteeing

Directions:
Saute your onion in olive oil until it becomes translucent
After the onion has been cooking for a few minutes, I add the minced
garlic (so it doesn't burn)
Already - your house is going to smell great :)
I then add as much kale as I can fit into the pot and the chicken
stock.
Add a good shake of soy sauce (probably 2ish tablespoons) - until the
broth slightly darkens
Add chili garlic sauce (I like a big spoonful to make it extra spicy,
but start small - you can always add more later)
Add a little bit of brown sugar (again, start small, you can always
add to taste)
As the kale cooks down, I typically stuff more into the pot (you could
even do more than one head of kale if you have it around).
Simmer until the liquid reduces about an inch (ish)