Pomodoro Sauce

已查看 0 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Boyle

未读,
2010年9月7日 11:47:272010/9/7
收件人 Blue Bell Recipe Swap
I don't always have time to make a pot of gravy, and this recipe is
both delish and fast!

I am basing this recipe on using 3 cans of whole, peeled tomatoes.
(the general proportions are 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk & 1/3 of an
onion to each tin of tomatoes).

Ingredients:
3 cans of tomatoes (San Marzano are the best, but I like Tuttorosso &
Cento - quality counts, as this is the primary ingredient).
3 medium carrots - I peel them, you can slice or shred - whatever is
easier for you.
3 medium stalks of celery - I slice them into thin rounds
1 small onion
3-5 cloves of garlic, sliced thin (depending on size)
a handful/fistful of fresh basil (you can even use the stalks)
1 bay leaf (2 if really small)
1 parmesan rind
Crushed red pepper flakes (a little bit goes a long way, I use about a
half-teaspoon)
Olive Oil

Directions:
Medium heat.
Coat the bottom of your pot with olive oil - you don't want it to be
deep or you'll fry your veggies - maybe 2-3 tablespoons.
add your carrots then your celery then your onions - then cook them
until they get soft (about 5 minutes ish).
add your garlic (by adding this after your veggies you eliminate the
risk of burning it) and crushed red pepper - then cook for 1-2 more
minutes, mixing it in so it starts to cook too.
add your tomatoes, basil, bay leaf & parmesan rind.
simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes without a lid so the sauce
condenses and some of the liquid evaporates. mash your tomatoes with
the back of a wooden spoon to release the juices that are inside, and
stir frequently to prevent the bottom from burning.
When you are done cooking, remove the bay leaf (leaves), basil stalks
& parmesan rind (while you are cooking the label will start to peel
off of the cheese - so make sure you scoop that out), then blend with
either an immersion blender like I had, or in batches in your regular
blender.

Serve with al dente rigatoni or ravioli (cook using the shortest
period of time on the box/bag), with some fresh grated parmesan (to
taste). Make sure you salt your pasta water while bringing it to a
boil.

You can play with proportions - if you are craving more garlic, you
can certainly add a few extra cloves (I'd do one at a time). If you
want more spice, you can add more crushed red pepper.

Also - this sauce freezes well since there is no cream in it. You can
make a big batch since it is so easy and stick it in the freezer in
pre-portioned containers, or it lasts about a week in the fridge.
回复全部
回复作者
转发
0 个新帖子