Not your standard Pumpkin Soup

Boyle

Sep 7, 2010, 11:41:10 AM9/7/10
to Blue Bell Recipe Swap
In November, I had the opportunity to spend time with some of my
favorite people on earth - the Poeschel's. I was in Nuremberg for one
week for work, and tricked Oli and his family to spend about as much
time as humanly possible with me after hours :)

Thursday after work, I joined the Poeschel's at their beautiful home
in Hersbruck, and was treated to a pumpkin soup unlike any other
pumpkin soup I had ever tried...I could not identify what made this
soup so damn delicious! So I strong-armed it out of Oli and Sonja ;)

I had to improvise with what is available in US supermarkets, but
think that I re-created Sonja's masterpiece.

First, because I refuse to consume high fructose corn syrup (by choice
- I realize it may happen outside of my home), I made a homemade
teriyaki sauce.
1/2c soy sauce
1/3c red wine vinegar
4t sugar
1t garlic powder
1t ground ginger (I used a heaping teaspoon)
Just combine the ingredients and it is ready to go. (I want to add
this to everything in sight, it is so tasty!)

For the pumpkin soup
1 pie pumpkin. If you can't get your hands on a pumpkin, use squash -
I used 1 butternut & 1 acorn squash - both of average size - chopped
into ~1" pieces
1 large onion (I used 2 small)
Fresh garlic, to taste - I used maybe 2-3 cloves
Fresh ginger, to taste, minced (with a garlic press) - I used 3 small
pieces that fit into my mincer.
1t curry powder
Chicken broth or a bouillon cube
Teriyaki sauce - enough to darken the color of the soup some
1t chili sauce
1 can coconut milk

Sauté your onion and garlic in olive oil until they are well softened.

Add your pumpkin/squash, and enough liquid to cover. I used about one
and a half boxes of chicken stock because I don't keep bouillon in the
house. Cook over medium heat until the squash is tender.

Using an immersion blender, or in batches using a standard blender,
puree the soup.

Add the curry powder, ginger, chili sauce & teriyaki sauce. Simmer for
a few more minutes to combine flavors.

Turn off the heat, and add your coconut milk. It is very important not
to cook the coconut milk, as it will lose all flavor.

Oli added cooked shrimp to the pot while we were getting ready for
dinner, and I think that is quite delicious. I always keep shrimp in
the freezer, so I added it as well.

Also, when serving, put out the chili sauce and perhaps some
additional teriyaki sauce for garnishing individual bowls. Just be
sure not to overdo it.

So....while I miss my Poeschel's very much, I am happy to be warmed on
this snowy day by the soup I enjoyed with Oli, Sonja, Sophia & Niklas
in Germany. Lots of hugs to the whole bunch!