Marques and Valadao, no dates, somewhere in the Azores

Cheri Mello

Sep 15, 2022, 10:57:04 PM9/15/22
to Azores Genealogy
Repost for Eli Marques, kariseli77 at gmail.com

My name is Eli Marques I am looking for my ancestors. I am looking for information on the Marques and Valadao families. Some information says it's from Acores, I just don't know which islands of Acores? My great-grandfather Manoel Marques dos Santos and his wife Josefa Marques dos Santos had a son named Antonio Marques dos Santos. Also Familia Valadao. My great-grandfather Manoel Alberto Valadao and his wife Balbina Bourgnon Ferreira Coelho. He was Portuguese in his certificate but I'm looking for what place of Acores? His sons were Jose alves Valadao and Manoel Valadao Junior. Any information and help I appreciate it. Thank you so much
Eli Marques

Cheri Mello

Sep 15, 2022, 11:12:32 PM9/15/22
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Eli,

We need some dates (or approximate dates or a range, such as 1820-1850). Also, what work have you done in your country to figure out the island? Have you found them coming to your country on a ship's passenger list?

Eli Balmat

Sep 16, 2022, 10:48:26 AM9/16/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Eli Marques dos Santos
Good Morning
I recently found this information and I only have the names and some dates. Manoel Valadao 1850 Lived in RJ Brasil and his Wife Balbina Bourgno 1854 . I'm trying to find more information. The only information I have is that of Azores Island.

Thanks

Cheri Mello

Sep 16, 2022, 11:33:10 AM9/16/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Eli,

You are going to have to narrow it down. It doesn't matter if you are in Brasil, or America, or Canada. It's impossible to search in the Azores (or anywhere in Europe) without narrowing it down. If I told you my Jose de Mello went to Brazil about 1890 and can you find him in Brasil, I'm sure your answer would be that you need more information. Brazil is a large country. You would need the state, how old his was (or approximate), etc.

I don't know what resources for genealogy are available for Brasil in the mid-1800s. Isabella Baltar has a page full of ideas. I'm sure there's a way to put the page in Portuguese too:
A few others on this list research Brasil as well. Maybe they have ideas for you too.

The only other choice you have is to take a DNA test and see what matches you have. If you are matching a bunch of people who research the island of Flores, well, you would probably need to start looking there. If your parents are alive, test them first. If they are not alive, test yourself. Only Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) and My Heritage ships kits to Brasil. Order from FTDNA first. You want the "Family Finder" test for $79USD (+$10 shipping). If you prefer sales, they have traditionally had a holiday sale in November and December. The Family Finder test may be $49 or $59 USD. Order here:

After you test with FTDNA, I can tell you how to transfer to MyHeritage for free.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Eli Balmat

Sep 26, 2022, 2:45:44 PM9/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon. I did genetic tests on myheritage and Genera in Brazil. How do I share it with you? Thanks
Eli Marques dos Santos
Phone: 55-11-97226-0636

Cheri Mello

Sep 26, 2022, 2:49:52 PM9/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Eli,

My Heritage and FTDNA (Family Tree DNA) use the same chip.

1) Download the raw data from My Heritage:

https://faq.myheritage.com/DNA/Manage-DNA-/951697461/How-do-I-download-my-raw-DNA-data-file-from-MyHeritage.htm

2) While waiting for the file to be compiled and emailed, create an account on FTDNA:
https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer

3) Download the raw data file that is in the email. Hopefully, it downloads to the Download folder or the Desktop.

4) Upload the raw data to the FTDNA page. Then join the Azores DNA project.

            i) Log into the FTDNA page with the kit number and password.

ii) Across the top is says: myFTDNA, DNA Tests, Projects....Point at Projects. When the drop down menu appears, click "Join a project."

iii) If the Azores Islands appears on the top, click the link and scroll down to the JOIN button at the end.

iv) If the Azores Islands is not suggested, scroll down to where it says "Search by Surname" and type: azores.

             v) When Azores Islands appears, click the link and follow the directions.

Thanks, Cheri Mello, Family Tree DNA Admin (volunteer), Azores DNA Project