Paternal lineage of Salvador Lucas de Aguiar

109 views
Skip to first unread message

Marco Aurélio Martins

unread,
Sep 27, 2026, 3:21:52 PM (8 days ago) Sep 27
to Azores Genealogy
Hello everyone.
I am looking for descendants in the paternal line of Pedro Enes Berbereia or Manoel Martins Coelho, sons of Salvador Lucas de Aguiar and Domingas Nunes.
I am conducting a study on the Y-DNA of the Aguiar family, one of the pioneer families in Quatro Ribeiras, Terceira Island.
Thank you.

Sandra Valine Dauer

unread,
Sep 27, 2026, 6:03:18 PM (8 days ago) Sep 27
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Salvador Lucas de Aguiar and Domingas Nunes are my 8th Great-parents thur son Pedro Enes Berbereia.  My Berberea (as spelled by my Grandfather) cousin took the YDNA test with Family Tree DNA and Family Finder.  Your name does not appear as a match.  Your DNA testing company? or the person tested?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to azores+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/260ab730-fa53-427a-b4c8-3d6587628043n%40googlegroups.com.

Marco Aurélio Martins

unread,
Sep 28, 2026, 8:04:45 AM (7 days ago) Sep 28
to Azores Genealogy
Hello Sandra, how are you?

Salvador Lucas de Aguiar is my 12th-generation ancestor on my paternal line.

I haven't taken the Family Tree DNA Big Y test yet. However, I did have a cousin of my grandfather take the "Family Finder" DNA test (he was the last living member of his generation; my grandfather passed away in 1990).
His name is Joaquim Antônio Rodrigues.

Family Tree DNA was able to determine his haplogroup, which is R-Y4364. It isn't as detailed a reading as the Big Y, but it is an interesting result, as it makes it possible to identify which branch of R-Z2103 I belong to.
The R-Z2103 haplogroup is already relatively rare in Portugal, and the R-Y4364 branch is even rarer.

Based on this information, I joined an FTDNA project for the R-Z2103 haplogroup; knowing the haplogroup was very rare in Portugal, I filtered the users by country. Only four users (besides myself) with this haplogroup appeared for Portugal.
Haplo Z-2103.jpeg

Marco Aurélio Martins

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 11:12:29 AM (6 days ago) Sep 29
to Azores Genealogy
Hello, Sandra.

I was very happy to learn that my documentary research was correct; the fact that I share the same haplogroup as other descendants of Salvador Lucas de Aguiar strongly suggests that the connections are accurate.

The ancestor who came from the Azores to Brazil was João Martins Coelho; he was born in 1726 in Quatro Ribeiras and married in Minas Gerais in 1766. He was the great-great-great-grandson of Salvador Lucas Coelho.

João Martins Coelho left a large number of descendants in Minas Gerais, and some of them later moved to Goiás, where I was born.

I am currently saving up money to take the Big Y test from Family Tree DNA in order to determine my deep haplogroup.

Em domingo, 27 de setembro de 2026 às 19:03:18 UTC-3, Sandra Valine Dauer escreveu:

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 2:22:45 PM (6 days ago) Sep 29
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco,

Family Finder (autosomal) DNA won't detect your 8 greats. It detects ancestors that are about 200 years from your birth (if you were born in 1955, your DNA goes back to about 1755).

If Salvador Lucas de Aguiar is your father's father's father's father's father's father's father's father (all men, all the way back), then Y DNA (as well as Big Y) traces his Y DNA only.

I wasn't sure by your post if you were clear on how DNA inheritance works. 
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada


MMartins A.

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 2:58:14 PM (6 days ago) Sep 29
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Cheri Mello, how are you?

That’s right; autosomal DNA can detect relationships up to the seventh or eighth generation, with a few exceptions.

Y-DNA (and mtDNA), on the other hand, acts like a "time capsule," as it remains (almost) unchanged across many generations—far more so than autosomal DNA.

Well, the reason for my enthusiasm is that I’ve been researching my paternal genealogy for several years (paternal lineage, Y-DNA). I’ve had great success with the documentary research, tracing ancestors back to the 1500–1550 period in Quatro Ribeiras, Terceira Island.

It is incredibly rewarding to find people who descend from such distant ancestors—whose autosomal DNA has likely been lost over time—yet with whom we still share DNA via the Y-DNA line.

Although I haven't taken FTDNA’s Big Y test yet, I’ve managed to narrow down my paternal haplogroup to the point where I am highly confident that my documentary research is accurate and that there were no breaks in the lineage (at least not back to Salvador Lucas de Aguiar).

Sandra’s cousin’s Big Y result places him just four positions downstream from my haplogroup, R-Y4364. So, considering the family tree match, the geographical location of our ancestors, and the specific nature of this R-Z2103 Y-DNA lineage, I believe my haplogroup is the same as his.

This confirms the connections in my family tree and opens up possibilities for forming hypotheses about the origins of the first settlers of the Azores—specifically regarding the Aguiar family.

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 5:02:06 PM (6 days ago) Sep 29
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco,

Here is a chart that was posted on ISOGG for Family Tree DNA:
image.png

6th cousins share a 5 great-grandparent. 9th cousins would share an 8-great grandparent:
image.png

We'll have to see how these statistic change with the new FamilyFinder product (on the NGS platform). 


Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Sandra Valine Dauer

unread,
Sep 30, 2026, 12:31:43 PM (5 days ago) Sep 30
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco  Thank you for all the useful information on your family.  Have you heard of the Familias DA Ilha Terceira books by Philippe Garnier?  In book Os Aguiar I (3rd edicao) Joao da Aguiar (1-4) page 177 I suspect I found Jose Martins Coelho born 10-01 1726 Quatro Ribeira- Terceira.  The parents are listed as Sebastiao Martins Coelho (1675) married to Maria de Santa Rosa (1696).  IS this your family?  If not, who are Jose Martins Coelho's parents?
 I'm third generation in America, my grandfather Francisco Ferreria Berberea immigrated to California in 1920 the only one of his 10 brothers and sisters to America.  He was the youngest.  Five of his siblings immigrated to Rio deJaneiro, Brazil.  Do you happen to have Berbereia / Berberea in your family tree?  Thanks for contacting me and I hope we will continue to learn more about our family connections.  Sandra Valine Dauer


Marco Aurélio Martins

unread,
Sep 30, 2026, 10:48:33 PM (4 days ago) Sep 30
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Sandra, how are you?

That’s right; the ancestor on my paternal line who came from the Azores to Brazil was João Martins Coelho, born on January 10, 1726, the son of Sebastião Martins Coelho and Maria de Santa Rosa. He married in 1766 in the city of Conselheiro Lafaiete, in the state of Minas Gerais. He is my 7th great-grandfather on my paternal line.

Yes, I recently bought the first volume of Philippe Garnier's book on the Aguiar family. I found the genealogical research he conducted very interesting, as he uncovered new, previously unpublished documents that greatly help us understand the past and establish connections.

I don’t have the surname Berberea in my tree; the surname passed down through the generations was Martins Coelho, which later became Martins Rodrigues, and eventually, I inherited only the Martins name.
Your grandfather was brave to go to the Americas alone while his brothers went to Brazil; it couldn't have been easy for him to live far from his family.

I don’t have the Berberea surname in my direct tree, but a while back I spoke with a young man from Rio de Janeiro on FamilySearch whose great-grandfather had that surname. He is also a descendant of Salvador Lucas de Aguiar, through his son Pedro Enes Berbereia. I mentioned the DNA test to him because I wanted to know his paternal haplogroup (which is likely the same as mine and your cousin's), but he wasn't interested in taking the test.

Sandra Valine Dauer

unread,
Oct 1, 2026, 3:41:08 PM (4 days ago) Oct 1
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Marco from sunny California.  Thank you for confirming your family information and the progression of the surname.
In my Berberea family surname, in many records, Ferreria Berberea, Alves/ Alveres/ Berbereia, Enes Berbereia.  My uncle Frank was named after his Father with the Ferreria Berberea, however his sons are known as Berberea. 
In Philippe Garnier's book, My direct ancestors are listed on pgs 158-59 with Manuel Alveres Berbereia (born 1702) as my 4th Great-grandfather.  As my grandfather aged, we lost contact with the families in Brazil, unfortunately no letters were kept.
Do you remember the name of the person from Rio regarding the Berberea name?  Does he have a family tree on Familysearch?  Question?  Do you know why your ancestors relocated to Brazil?  Work? Family? Friends? or?  And why to the area in Brazil?
My grandfather came to America to better himself and to send money back to his family in Biscoitos.  He came to Central California because Portuguese Dairymen in the area were hiring young men from Terceira to work for the Dairy company, as it was called.   I remember each year, our clothes that we had outgrown, were shipped in gunny sacks to his family.  

Alfred Tavares

unread,
Oct 2, 2026, 9:45:18 AM (3 days ago) Oct 2
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Greetings to  all. Has anyone done any research from Sto. Antonio, Sta Barbara e Bretanha.  I am interested I. Starting my research in these places. Any help would be helpful. Thank you. 

MMartins A.

unread,
Oct 3, 2026, 9:42:41 PM (2 days ago) Oct 3
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sandra!

When you mentioned the California sun, I was reminded of a song that was also a huge hit in Brazil: "California Dreamin'."

The young man I spoke with on FamilySearch—who lives in Rio de Janeiro—is named Jorge Leon. He is the grandson of Noel Ferreira and the great-grandson of Antônio Ferreira Berberea. Attached is a photo showing his paternal lineage. It appears he descends from the same branch as you.

I still do not know why my ancestor João Martins Coelho came to Brazil, where he married in 1766. By that time, in the region where he married, the "gold rush" was already over, and agriculture and cattle ranching were the main drivers of the local economy.
I believe the possibility of owning vast tracts of land attracted Azoreans, as land was very scarce in the Azores.
He married Rita Maria da Conceição, the daughter of an Azorean couple from Terceira Island who owned a great deal of land in Brazil.

I am trying to find out if he came alone, just like your grandfather; however, since my ancestor's immigration happened so long ago, the oral histories and details of past events have been lost... I am left only with historical records.
It seems that even back then, there were support networks among Azoreans that helped those immigrating to Brazil.

Genealogia Berberea.jpeg

Nelson A

unread,
1:27 AM (7 hours ago) 1:27 AM
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I have Antonio Ferreira Barberia married to Marianna do Coracao de Jesus married 11 jan 1872 with several generations back. This is thru one of my great uncle's. 

Sandra Valine Dauer

unread,
1:44 AM (7 hours ago) 1:44 AM
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Nelson A
Thank your the post.  Antonio and Marianna are my Great Grandparents, their youngest son is my maternal Grandfather Francisco Ferreria Berberea. Where does your great uncle fit in the family?

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages