Assistance with Passport Record - Antonio Pereira Fevella

Dennis Munise

May 7, 2024, 9:24:54 PMMay 7
to Azores Genealogy
Hi all, I'm building out a family tree of someone who is a DNA match to me to see how it fits in to my tree.  Right now I'm researching Antonio Pereira Fevella who immigrated to Hawaii from Sao Miguel in 1882.

According to the findagrave memorial left by a Fevella family member, this immigration card belongs to Antonio and family.

I believe that this is the corresponding passport entry on the passport index (Number 445).

My questions are:
  1. Does the "F.C." freguesia stand for Faja de Cima?
  2. Can you make out the words in the accompanying persons column?  Seems to be ages but my eyes can't make it out
The reason I asked is that I've searched the Faja de Cima baptisms from 1849-1851 and cannot find this individual.  At least no an Antonio born to Joao Pereira and Maria Ricarda.

Of note:  There are 2 public trees on Ancestry that say Antonio was born March 1847 in Ponta Garca, however there is no source documentation associated with those records.

Thanks for looking!

Cheri Mello

May 7, 2024, 11:04:59 PMMay 7
to azo...@googlegroups.com
1) Yes, F.C. = Faja de Cima
2) Mer (Mulher) Jta. Pera (Jacinta Pereira) 22, fos (?) Filhos Mel (Manuel) 16 months, and Maria 1 month. That's my best guess.

I'm not at home and won't be for awhile. Others on this list have the Bob de Mello book and the Edgar Knowlton book about the immigrants to Hawaii. That should be able to cross reference as to what was on the Azorean end.

I'm reading the passaporte entry as Antonio Pereira is 31, so born 1851 give or take a year. Search in 1852 since you have searched before.

Ancestry Public Trees - it's super easy to tell who does not know how to do Portuguese research. There's no documentation and copying stuff from everybody everywhere.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Linda Mare

May 7, 2024, 11:08:15 PMMay 7
to azo...@googlegroups.com
It does stand for Fajã de Cima. The notes say Jacinta Pereira age 22, Manuel 16 months and Maria ?? 1 month ?? Her age is harder to make out.

I found baby Manuel’s baptism in Fajã de Cima and it looks like dad Antonio is from Rosario, Lagoa.

Linda

Sent from my iPhone

JR

May 7, 2024, 11:32:24 PMMay 7
to Azores Genealogy
These are the parents. But I guess you want the marriage of Antonio Pereira and Jacinta Pereira:

https://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-LG-ROSARIO-C-1799-1832/SMG-LG-ROSARIO-C-1799-1832_item1/index.html?page=445

page 221, 02-Dec-1830, Rosario da Lagoa casamentos
Joao Pereira de Medeiros, viuvo de Maria Joaquina, sepultada na Matriz da Santa Cruz, cc Maria Ricarda, filha de Manoel Tavares and Rosa Jacinta, baptizada Rosario da Lagoa.

JR

JR

May 7, 2024, 11:59:18 PMMay 7
to Azores Genealogy
https://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PD-FAJADECIMA-C-1880-1884/SMG-PD-FAJADECIMA-C-1880-1884_item1/index.html?page=5

record no-3, 09-Feb-1880, Faja de Cima casamentos;
Antonio Pereira, 29 yrs old, nat de Rosario da Lagoa, filho of above post cc Jacinta dos Anjos [Pereira], 20 yrs old, nat de Faja de Cima, filha de Manuel pereira and Joana Maria

JR

Dennis Munise

May 8, 2024, 8:38:06 AMMay 8
to Azores Genealogy
Thank you everyone, I appreciate it!

I was able to find Antonio's baptism in Rosario and I'm posting here for posterity in case anyone searches in the future.

Thanks again!

Dennis Munise

May 8, 2024, 9:22:55 AMMay 8
to Azores Genealogy
OK sorry for the multiple messages but wanted to circle back.

This may not be the record of the Antonio Pereira Fevella I'm looking for.  I was basing this search off of the immigration card left by a family member on the findagrave site and I guess I'm a stickler for documentation to prove or disprove something.  In any event, this Antonio Pereira mentioned above:
  1. Married in 1880
  2. Emigrated in 1881
  3. Son Manuel (16 months), Daughter Maria (1 month)
The Antonio Pereira Fevella in Hawaii had a daughter born in 1877 who died in 1909 (see image below).  If this were the same person
  • Maria was born out of wedlock
  • Maria did not make the trip with her parents at the age of 5 (or the record keeper mistakenly wrote 1 month instead of 5 years)
  • Alternatively to the above, the birth date on the death certificate is incorrect
  • Both Maria and Manuel died before Antonio (the will mentions children - 2 Marias one of which is below, the other born in Hawaii, Jose and Antonia)
I believe Fevella is the English spelling/transcription of Fereira (just a hunch).  Maybe the family just went with however it was spelled, who knows.  I've sent a message on Ancestry to descendants of these folks but I'm not having luck these days with responses on Ancestry.  And the lack of source documents on their trees just tell me it was a copy/paste job from someone else's tree but we shall see.

Thoughts?

Maria Fivella.JPG

Linda Mare

May 8, 2024, 12:06:40 PMMay 8
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Dennis, I believe you are correct and this is not the family you are looking for.

Fivela is most likely an alcunha/nickname and it appears that António’s brother also made the trip to Hawaii using the “Pereira Fivella” names.

image0.jpeg

Then searching the archives here is an entry for António Pereira leaving with wife Jacinta and 2 year old Maria on the Highflyer in 1880 which gets you closer to that 1877 year on her death certificate.

image1.jpeg
Here’s a link to António’s tree on geneanet if you want to take a closer look to make sure these are the people your looking for.  You’ll see his brother José Pereira Fivela listed.

Linda

Sent from my iPhone

On May 8, 2024, at 9:23 AM, Dennis Munise <djmu...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Joe Matias

May 8, 2024, 12:15:41 PMMay 8
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I believe it is spelled Favela or Favella.I have this name going back to the mid 1600's

Bill Seidler

May 8, 2024, 3:39:51 PMMay 8
to Azores Genealogy
Who is Antonio Pereira Fivella?  The Hawaiian Immigrant card has the name Jose Pereira Fivella.

Here is the passport entry for the family on the card you posted (1:214; 3:615 through 3:621)

Bill Seidler

Bill Seidler

May 8, 2024, 3:49:54 PMMay 8
to Azores Genealogy
My apologies Dennis.  I see that Antonio's card was posted by someone else.  It does show that Jose Pereira Fevella was from Matriz of Ribeira Grande (Estrela) if that helps find Antonio.

Bill

Bill Seidler

May 8, 2024, 4:51:39 PMMay 8
to Azores Genealogy
Dennis,
I found Manuel's baptism (#73 Right side) which gives his parents as Antonio Pereira Fivella and Jacinta da Conceição:

I believe this is Antonio and Jacinta's marriage but it does not contain the name "Fivella" like the above baptism does.  Otherwise the parents on the marriage do match the grandparents on the baptism (#26, starts middle left):

Bill

JR

May 8, 2024, 5:22:45 PMMay 8
to Azores Genealogy

Bill Seidler

May 8, 2024, 6:03:35 PMMay 8
to Azores Genealogy
Here is the baptism  for Maria, born 13 Jan 1888 which makes the date of birth on the death record you posted about a year off.  (The birthdate of 6 Jan 1877 from the death record would have been just 9 months from her brother Manuel's birth)

JR gave you link to João Luís Tavares Silva's Geneanet tree that has this family going back.

Bill Seidler

Dennis Munise

May 8, 2024, 7:48:32 PMMay 8
to Azores Genealogy
Thank you all.  I got nervous when you said there was a Manuel born to this couple because I don't see any Manuel in any Hawiian records.  Furthermore, I thought I found the immigration card (below) - no Manuel but all other names and ages check out.

Found out Manuel died 8 months after birth, so I think these are the right people.

Immigration Antonio.JPG

Thanks again for all of your help!

Bill Seidler

May 8, 2024, 8:12:44 PMMay 8
to Azores Genealogy
Great!  Here is the passport log entry corresponding to this card; everything matches. (#898).