Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] new to the group/100% Azorean grandparents,

Cheri Mello

Jun 14, 2012, 12:41:05 PM6/14/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
FSouza,

You have names and places, but didn't post any dates.  You mention people coming to America in the 1920s.  I'm going to assume that these people were born before 1910 or so.

Records older than 100 years are held at the regional archive.  For Sao Miguel, that's in Ponta Delgada.  Sao Miguel has microfilm from the beginning of what exists up to 1800 or 1883 in some freguesias.  So you only need to cover the gap between 1880 and 1920.

The address for Ponta Delgada (and for the other 2 archives for those who want to know) is here: http://goo.gl/rd0Gs

There is also a link for a sample form letter at the top.

Some Sao Miguel records are starting to come online.  There are some for Lagoa that go up to 1905:
http://www.culturacores.azores.gov.pt/ig/registos/?serie=0&ilha=2&concelho=15

Sao Vicente Ferreira and Santo Antonio (if you are talking about freguesias and not churches) are both in the council (county) of Ponta Delgada.  Those records are not online.  So if your ancestors were born after the early 1880s, you will have to write (link provided above).

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Frederick Souza

Jun 14, 2012, 1:02:17 PM6/14/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this information.  I will research the dates a bit--I am pretty sure that the grandparents on my fathers side were 1875 and 1879, and on my mother's 1890 and 1892.  All of them are buried nearby, so I will visit the gravesights to try to narrow this down.

I appreciate you writing back,

Fred Souza

Thank you,

Frederick Souza
19 Owen Drive
Stonington, CT 06378-1012

belle...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2012, 1:08:08 PM6/14/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
FSouza,

Is this your family on the 1910 Fall River, Ward 7, Bristol Co. MA census

Surname is misspelled to MICHAELEAN

Manuel S. Michaelean 34 (so born ca 1876) b. Portugal, came to US 1885; Mary I. 28 (born abt. 1882) b. Portugal came to US 1881, married 11 years, 8 children born, 6 children living, Manuel J. 10, Mary 8, Joseph 5, Frank 4, John 1 yr. 11 mos, Antone 5 mos. All children born in the US.

"E"

Frederick Souza

Jun 14, 2012, 1:23:36 PM6/14/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
lots of those names are accurate, but I think the birthdates may be too young.  I will take this to the cemetery to see if I find birthdates for Mary and John
Thank you

belle...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2012, 2:00:18 PM6/14/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I think this may be the parents ??-

Ship's Manifest - Peninsular sailing from Sao Miguel to New York arriving 5/26/1900.

Manuel de Sousa Miquelina 58, (if in US before - yes 1897), Jacintha de Sousa 39, Marianna 24, Marianna 20 (yes 2 named Marianna) . They are going to their son Manuel de Sousa Miquelina living in Fall River. I also found them in the 1910 US Census Manuel 69, Jessie J. 49, Mary A. C. 19. I am not sure if the 1900 records are on the CCA site or not.

"E"

Fred Souza

Jun 26, 2022, 7:37:34 PM6/26/22
to Azores Genealogy
Can you tell me more about the above record information?  I think it may be the correct one, but I would like to find that census record.