Unknown First Name

lastdiplomat

Sep 23, 2022, 8:39:16 PM9/23/22
to Azores Genealogy
Can someone please help me with the first name written on this baptismal record on the right-hand side? I have a hard time making out the letters and it’s definitely a new one for me so I’m hoping someone else will recognize it:

Cheri Mello

Sep 24, 2022, 12:04:27 AM9/24/22
to Azores Genealogy
I've had a long day. Maybe Ursula. I'll look tomorrow.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022, 8:56 PM lastdiplomat <last.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can someone please help me with the first name written on this baptismal record on the right-hand side? I have a hard time making out the letters and it’s definitely a new one for me so I’m hoping someone else will recognize it:

Mindy Silva

Sep 24, 2022, 8:05:58 AM9/24/22
to Azores Genealogy
It looks like Thiala to me. Definitely not a common name.

Mindy

Cheri Mello

Sep 24, 2022, 10:35:14 AM9/24/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Terri Santos thinks it's Urcula too. I checked all the saints born on her birth date and baptism dates and only came up with St. Elfleda (on her baptism date). And I don't think it's Elfleda.

The A in Anna from below....You can see his A on the left page with all of the flourished. That's definitely messing with the name on the top line. And he makes one weird U and it's not one fluid line - he picks up his pen. I'm going to go with Terri and say it's Urcula (Urçula) or Ursula. I forget which is the modern spelling.

Maybe others can take a look as well.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

George Sousa

Sep 24, 2022, 12:02:14 PM9/24/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
At the risk of throwing out another name. It appears to me that the name starts with the letter "T". The name may be Teresa (written as Thereza or Theresa). Have a look at the way the same priest writes the name "Umbelina" in http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PD-GINETES-B-1797-1805/SMG-PD-GINETES-B-1797-1805_item1/index.html?page=138 (on the right).

George

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 11:56 PM lastdiplomat <last.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can someone please help me with the first name written on this baptismal record on the right-hand side? I have a hard time making out the letters and it’s definitely a new one for me so I’m hoping someone else will recognize it:

SUSAN MURPHY

Sep 24, 2022, 2:54:44 PM9/24/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
That was my first thought George, but I didn’t want to be the “outlier” as I rarely comment ;)
Susan

JesseAndDeborah Mendonca

Sep 24, 2022, 5:00:25 PM9/24/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cheri, is there a list of the Saint days?    I’ll never forget discovering that Jesse’s uncle had the odd name Hilary because of the day he was born.  One smart mama stopped the expected Manoel with her best option.  So we have Hilary Joaquim Mendonça I, II, III AND FINALLY Zaiden.    It was time.

Cheri Mello

Sep 24, 2022, 5:58:34 PM9/24/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Theresa is a good one. I'm looking at the formation of his "z" and "s" in other words. I don't think it's Theresa. We still need more eyes on this one.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

Sep 24, 2022, 6:02:01 PM9/24/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Debbie,
I just google "feast day October 19" or "feast day October 23" then I scroll to the link that lists all the Catholic Saints.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

lastdiplomat

Sep 26, 2022, 12:52:40 PM9/26/22
to Azores Genealogy
Thank you for all the suggestions. I tend to lean toward Thiala (or Thalia) as it appears to be a Th- name that ends in -la. But if it is Theresa, then it's a really odd way to write -za or -sa at the end. The line goes up like an L rather than down like a Z or S. Unless it's Theresha?

It doesn't help that although the name is written twice, it looks like two different names. One looks like it could be Ursula and the other like Thiala/Theresa. I'm going to do some more digging and see if I can find a corresponding death or marriage record for this person.

Cheri Mello

Sep 26, 2022, 1:02:22 PM9/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
There's a couple of times he wrote the upper case T on the left page:
image.png

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

lastdiplomat

Sep 26, 2022, 1:40:06 PM9/26/22
to Azores Genealogy
It was a total shot in the dark, but surprisingly, I was able to find this person's death record (bottom left):

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PD-GINETES-O-1811-1832/SMG-PD-GINETES-O-1811-1832_item1/index.html?page=10

Unfortunately, the handwriting still isn't the best, but it looks like it could be Thesha (or Tesha).

Cheri Mello

Sep 26, 2022, 2:47:57 PM9/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
That's not an Azorean name either. Whatever the name is, it's pretty unique.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Linda Mare

Sep 26, 2022, 4:07:52 PM9/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
On the death record it looks like “Thecla” in the body of the text and their happens to be a Saint Thecla. Just throwing it out there.

Linda Maré

Cheri Mello

Sep 26, 2022, 4:10:37 PM9/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Linda, you might be onto something. One very unusual name!

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

lastdiplomat

Sep 27, 2022, 2:55:41 PM9/27/22
to Azores Genealogy
Thank you, Linda! I think Thecla may be correct. While researching another part of the family tree, I stumbled across this death record (left-hand side) for another individual with the same first name:

Leni Buch

Sep 27, 2022, 8:46:33 PM9/27/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi!