Population Lists of The Azores

Kathy Cardoza

Oct 1, 2022, 6:06:56 PM10/1/22
to Azores Google Group
Here is another fabulous resource being shared, for free, with all of us by the Sao Jorge Genealogy Society. This has valuable material in it for the other islands, as well, and not just Sao Jorge!

Population Lists of The Azores
A Comprehensive Guide to Digitized Civil Censuses, Confessional Rolls, Voter Rolls, and Tax Records for the Islands of Corvo, Faial, Flores, Graciosa, Pico, São Jorge, São Miguel, and Terceira, 1560-1970

Written by Jeremy Berry-Cahn on behalf of SJGS, September 2022.

A population list is any document that provides a listing of inhabitants in a given area. Since civil censuses covering the Azores are far and few between, this guide is mostly composed of census substitutes; records that provide similar information and can help pinpoint a person’s residency in a given year. These substitutes include civil censuses, confessional rolls, tax records, juror lists, and voter rolls.

In February, 2022 the São Jorge Genealogical Society launched a new project with the goal of digitizing as many Azorean population lists as possible; not only for São Jorge, but for all islands in the Azores. As of October 2022, over 750 such records have been digitized. This directory is organized by Island and Town thereunder. It provides links and instructions on how to access the scans - all of which have been made freely available.

KATHY CARDOZA   coordinator
Azores GenWeb
http://www.worldgenweb.org/azrwgw/

Tomas Leal

Oct 2, 2022, 5:46:23 AM10/2/22
to Azores Genealogy
I am a bit confused. I looked at the links for the freguesia of Flamengos, Faial, but they all seem the same ones for the entire island. Does this mean voter rolls are by concelho (Horta) rather than freguesia? If voters in Flamengos are listed in the Horta concelho files, shouldn't I be able to find some family members I know were living in Flamengos but their names do not appear. When I use the search function for "Leal" I get only one person with Leal as a "middle" name who is not related to me. Am I missing something?

Tomás Leal

Kathy Cardoza

Oct 2, 2022, 9:50:28 AM10/2/22
to Azores Google Group
Tomas

I spent quite a bit of time going thru some of these resources yesterday. It appears to me that all the freguesias of Horta are included in each link for a time period. You just have to scroll thru them to get to the freguesia you want, such as Flamengos, That’s what I did and was able to, fairly easily, find what I wanted. I did not see any search option because these are images and not text, other than the Guide.