Passport Record - Place Name Assistance

Dennis Munise

May 24, 2024, 9:50:39 AMMay 24
to Azores Genealogy
I am looking for the baptism records for Manuel Moniz, #434 on this passport index: https://www.culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/PASSAPORTES-PDL-1875-1883/PASSAPORTES-PDL-1875-1883_item1/index.html?page=95

Here is the image of the Concelho and Freguesia:

passportplace.JPG

What Freguesia is noted there?

Thanks!
Dennis

David Furtado

May 24, 2024, 9:53:30 AMMay 24
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Looks like Ribeira Grande?

Bill Seidler

May 24, 2024, 10:04:27 AMMay 24
to Azores Genealogy
Concelho of R.Ge (Ribeira Grande), fregusiea of Estr.a (Estrela [Matriz])

Bill Seidler

Cheri Mello

May 24, 2024, 10:31:34 AMMay 24
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Bill got it. Council of Ribeira Grande (R.G)., freguesia of Estrella (Est^a) (Nossa Senhora da Estrela).
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

JR

May 24, 2024, 7:07:16 PMMay 24
to Azores Genealogy
From Joao Tavares Silva site: tavaressilva

Mariano Moniz married to Rosa Joaquina, born - Santa Cruz (Matriz) da Lagoa,
 Children-
Manuel Moniz 1848  Married January 26, 1868 (Sunday), Igreja de Nª Srª da Estrela (Matriz) da Ribeira Grande, to Jacinta Rosa 1841-/1875
Manuel Moniz 1848  Married May 24, 1875 (Monday), Igreja de Nª Srª da Estrela (Matriz) da Ribeira Grande, to Fortunata de Jesus 1847- with
children-
Maria de Jesus 1876- Married January 11, 1897 (Monday), Igreja de Nª Srª da Estrela (Matriz) da Ribeira Grande, to Manuel da Silva Canário 1858

JR

JR

May 24, 2024, 7:16:08 PMMay 24
to Azores Genealogy
I forgot to add the children: Manoel, 3 yrs old, Antonio, and Jayme? or Jorge?
Manuel Moniz was 33 yrs old, Fortunata was 34 yrs old, in 1882.

JR

Dennis Munise

May 25, 2024, 12:58:02 AMMay 25
to Azores Genealogy
Thanks for that info.  I was hopeful that this was the family I was looking for, but I'm not so sure now.  Hoping I can get some eyes on this and some opinons.

The family I'm looking for from the passport record is Manuel Moniz and Fortunata do Espirito Santo, children Manuel and Antonio (JR I don't think there's a third child, I think the last part of the information says something mezes).

Based on Joao Tavares Silva's information I found Manuel's baptism and Fortunata's baptism.  Joao also indicated that this couple had a daughter Maria. This part throws me because the passport record and immigration card do not show a daughter Maria, and this is Maria's baptism.  It appears she married and died in Ribeira Grande.  I know anything is possible but is it probable that they did not take their 7 year old daughter with them?

The other oddity I found is that Manuel (the father) was born in Ponta Garca which matches the marriage record.  Maria's baptism, however, indicates that he is a native of Rosario and Manuel's baptism it indicates he is a native of Santa Cruz.

So I'm wondering if I have a mismatch in the records, or if this is possibly even the family I'm looking for.  Thoughts?

Cheri Mello

May 25, 2024, 1:07:57 AMMay 25
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, they could leave a 7 year old child behind.

If they were emigrating to America, rules may have been in effect banning those who were crippled, blind, deaf, etc from entering America. They wanted able bodied people coming. They didn't want people that would not benefit society.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

JR

May 25, 2024, 10:15:33 AMMay 25
to Azores Genealogy
Yes, Manuel Moniz was baptised and born in Ponta Garca. However, the baptism states the parents are natives of Santa Cruz da Lagoa. I looked there and did not find them. I guess you should check Rosario da Lagoa. Or recheck Santa Cruz, perhaps I missed them.
https://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-VF-PONTAGARCA-B-1848-1853/SMG-VF-PONTAGARCA-B-1848-1853_item1/index.html?page=20

page 18, baptismos de NS da Piedade da Ponta Garca
Manoel, born- 14-July-1848, bap- 31-July-1848, filho de Marianno Muniz and Roza Joaquina, naturais de Santa Cruz da Lagoa, freguezes de NS da Piedade da Ponta Garca. Pad- Antonio de Mattos e sua mulher, Julia Querubina desta igreja.

JR