Enorme Ferreira b. abt. Jan 1859 Sao Miguel

Dennis Munise

May 11, 2024, 10:46:48 AMMay 11
to Azores Genealogy
Hi all, I have another Hawaiian lead I'm pursuing.  This is another one related to the 4-6c DNA match I have with roots in Hawaii I was researching earlier

The person's name in the census is Enorme Ferreira.  The information I can gather from the census and other birth records are:

Born abt. Jan 1859 in Sao Miguel
Married Rosa da Conceicao Tavares in 1882
Immigrated to Hawaii in 1883
Had 10 children in Hawaii, beginning in 1884

I did a search of the Hawaiian immigration cards from yourislandroots for "Ferreira" which returned 152 records, two of which were Rosa (not the one I was looking for) and none for Enorme.

One question I have is, is Enorme a name you have seen before?  I'm wondering if that's a given name or some sort of name he adopted here.  From the articles linked to others' trees, it appears that Enorme was quite a character.  Reference the below article.

Just wondering if anyone happens to have Enorme and Rosa Ferreira in their trees or suggestions on where else to look.

Thanks!

Enorme.JPG

mnk

May 11, 2024, 2:12:53 PMMay 11
to Azores Genealogy

What a tale! Sounds like something was definitely in that wine!
I know Enorme means big, large or huge. (Think of enormous) I’ve never seen it as name, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Maybe it was a nickname that was adopted as a name?
Maria Natalia

Cheri Mello

May 11, 2024, 2:29:19 PMMay 11
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Enorme means huge. He must have been a big guy. It's not the name he was baptized under. He was baptized with a proper saint's name.

I too found 2 Rosas married to a Ferreira who immigrated to Hawaii as a married couple with no children.

1) Antonio Ferreira, 26 (b. c 1857) s/o Jose Ferreira and Leonare de Jesus (from Furnas) and wife Rosa de Jesus, 28 (b. c 1855), d/o Joao Cabral and Mariana de Jesus, also from Furnas sailed on the Bell Rock (Aug 1883 - Oct/Nov 1883)

1) Antonio Ferreira, 32 (b. c. 1850, so a little older than your estimate), s/o Manuel Jose Ferreira and Anna Jacinta from Sao Pedro in Ponta Delgada, and wife Rosa de Jesus, 32 (b. c. 1850) and they forgot the info on her parents. They sailed on the Hansa (Jul 1882 - Aug 1882).

That's all from Bob De Mello's "Passport Registrations: Portuguese Immigrants from Azores to Sandwich Isles, 1879-1883"

The first couple, Rosa is a daughter of Joao Cabral and Marianna de Jesus. Maybe Marianna is from a Tavares family. You'll have to do more investigation to figure this out.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

JR

May 11, 2024, 7:56:22 PMMay 11
to Azores Genealogy
I don't think these will be necessarily helpful, but here they are:

https://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-FURNAS-C-1842-1858/SMG-PV-FURNAS-C-1842-1858_item1/index.html?page=4

Page 3, casamentos de Santa Anna do Vale das Furnas
Joao Cabral com Marianna Julia, 09-Jan-1843,
Ele filho de Victorino Cabral and Francisca Ignacia, baptizado Furnas;
Ela filha de Manoel de Jesus [Pacheco] and Maria de [Jesus] Macedo baptizada Sao Paulo de Ribeira Quente
https://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-FURNAS-C-1842-1858/SMG-PV-FURNAS-C-1842-1858_item1/index.html?page=17

page 15 verso, casamentos de Santa Anna do Vale das Furnas
Joze Ferreira com Leonor de Jesus, 18-April-1844, Santa Anna do Vale das Furnas
Ele filho de Manuel Ferreira e Maria de Medeiros;
Ela filha de Antonio Furtado e Francisca de Jesus ambos baptizados Furnas
certified, 13-Sept-1857
--------------------------------

JR

Bill Seidler

May 11, 2024, 9:09:29 PMMay 11
to Azores Genealogy
Do you see any that had a baby named Antonio or Antone?  This shows they had one child born in 1881?  See Find-a-grave site at this link:

Bill Seidler

JR

May 12, 2024, 1:19:26 AMMay 12
to Azores Genealogy
https://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-FURNAS-C-1880-1885/SMG-PV-FURNAS-C-1880-1885_item1/index.html?page=35

record 16, page 11; 12-July-1882, casamentos de Santa Ana, Vale das Furnas
Antonio Ferreira, 25, solteiro, capaneo, filho de Joze Ferreira Poreco? and Leonor sic *Ferreira (should be Leonor de Jesus), com Rosa de Jesus, 27, solteira, domestico, filha de Joao Cabral Victorino natural de Furnas and Marianna de Jesus natural de Sao Paulo de Ribeira Quente.

JR

Cheri Mello

May 12, 2024, 10:19:30 AMMay 12
to Azores Genealogy
JR, the father of the groom has a hyphenated name. It's a word longer than Poreco. Can you look again? That priest/scribe actually used hyphens!

JR

May 12, 2024, 11:01:39 AMMay 12
to Azores Genealogy
Don't know the name or the word. Perhaps Poreacamph? But I wonder if that is some kind of made up word that sure looks like Povoacamph - having to do with Povoacao. Just a thought.

JR

Cheri Mello

May 12, 2024, 11:13:32 AMMay 12
to Azores Genealogy
I can only tell it's Por____plo on the end. That I'm 100% sure about.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

May 12, 2024, 11:15:50 AMMay 12
to Azores Genealogy
I'm sure of the plo on the end. I can see his "p" at that top of that page in "impedimento" and his "L" in filho. I'm sure that's a 'p" by comparing letters. I think it's got to be a nickname.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

May 12, 2024, 2:34:50 PMMay 12
to Azores Genealogy
It's Jose Ferreira Por Exemplo. I asked Joao Ventura and he thought that is what the name said. I remember when George Pacheco researched that family because the alcunha was kinda funny.
Contact George at: bretanha1954 at yahoo.com
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Joseph Mendonca

May 12, 2024, 2:34:58 PMMay 12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Jose Ferreira Por Exemplo.
The "e"  is not capitalized in this record. This is his first marriage.  Below is a link to his 2nd marriage on 20 Jan 1895 to Maria da Conceicao (aka by several other names).  You will see "Por Exemplo" better in this record and in the margin.

Bottom of page and continues on the next.

--
Joseph Mendonca

Joseph Mendonca

May 12, 2024, 2:36:50 PMMay 12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
...digo, Francisca da Conceicao (aka by several other names).
--
Joseph Mendonca

Cheri Mello

May 12, 2024, 5:54:49 PMMay 12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I asked George Pacheco years ago for the Por Exemplo family for one of my lectures.

Here's part of the family:

image.png

And here is the marriage record of the parents of the subject in the above slide:
image.png