looking for information on ancestors Cabral or Fontes

Kovina Miller

May 2, 2024, 9:36:07 AMMay 2
to Azores Genealogy
Augusto Cabral and Maria Juhlo (Fontes) Cabral from Azores.   Do you have any information?
or Manuel Fontes and Maria P Fontes born in Azores.
Thank you!

Cheri Mello

May 2, 2024, 9:40:54 AMMay 2
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kovina,

Genealogy involves 3 basic things: A name, a date, and a place. You have names. You have no dates (or approximates) and no places or locations. It's a bit like saying you are looking for John Smith from America. More specifics are needed.

If you need help in getting started, there's a how-to on the Azores GenWeb:
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Kovina Miller

May 19, 2024, 6:37:41 PMMay 19
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Cheri,

Thank you for the clarification needed for this process.    This is what I have.
  • Augusto Cabral was born in 1845 in the Acores, believed to be from Sao Miguel.   He migrated in 1884 to Hawaii to work on the sugar cane plantation.   He would have been 39 years old at the time.
  • Marie Cabral, married to Augusto Cabral, migrated with her family in 1884.    She would have been about 14 years old when she arrived.   Her birth date was not listed, but I found her census and it puts her at 1870.
  • Manuel Fontes born in 1872 migrated in 1885 to Hawaii with his family.   Also from the same island.   He would have been about 12 years old at the time.   Later he marries Maria P. in Hawaii but I do not have more information on them.
Augusto does not appear to be a common first name, but it seems to be a common last name from all the lists I have looked at.   If you are able to find any information I would really appreciate it.   I am trying to find their birth certificate from their island and then locate their parents.

Augusto and Maria Cabral moved to Oakland, California, with their children in 1905. One of their children is my Great-grandfather.   However, I have not been able to go back one more generation.

Thank you for anything you are able to locate.
Kovina

Cheri Mello

May 19, 2024, 6:43:44 PMMay 19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kovina,

I have a couple of books dealing with Hawaiian migration from Sao Miguel. I won't be home to access those books until Tuesday. Maybe someone else on this list has the Bob De Mello and Edgar C. Knowlton books to do a look up.

Maria, born c. 1870 and migrated 1884, who are her parents? The books are organized by the head of the family (the dad) followed by the mom, so we need to know who her parents are.

Manuel Fontes, b. 1872 and migrated 1885 - same thing. We need his parents to look him up in those books.
Thanks,