Looking for Birth/Marriage info on Sao Jorge/Faial

fsu...@gmail.com

May 12, 2024, 2:26:53 PMMay 12
to Azores Genealogy
Looking to find information on birth location and marriage.
Francisco Jacinto DeVargas, b. 21 December 1849 in Faial.  First arrived in US on 19 January 1865 on the Laconia from Flores.  Returned to Azores and married Anna Constance Luis b. 14 March 1855 in Sao Jorge.  They married in 1874 and had the following children in Sao Jorge.
Manuel b. 29 March 1875
Antonio b. 28 October 1879
Francisco b. 8 July 1881
They all emigrated to US on 21 May 1883 on the Paladin from Faial and settled in Middletown, Rhode Island
Any help in locating where they might have lived, and birth and marriage records is appreciated.

Cheri Mello

May 12, 2024, 2:32:47 PMMay 12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
The Azorean records have been digitized and uploaded by the Azorean government. Use Tombo.pt to access them:

Click on the British flag if you need to navigate in English. Use the left column to navigate to your island.

Most of Faial island has been indexed by University of Minho students. You can access those here:

Others will have more suggestions for you.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Bill Seidler

May 12, 2024, 3:21:56 PMMay 12
to Azores Genealogy
I used the marriage index on the São Jorge Genealogical Society website at https://saojorgegenealogy.org/ to find the marriage on 27 May 1874.  It #5 beginning bottom right and continuing on next page.

It says he is native of Pedro Miguel, Faial, 27 years old and son of Manuel de Silveira de Vargas and Isabel Jacinta do Coração de Jesus.

Bill Seidler

Message has been deleted

Boyd McKee Kitchen

May 12, 2024, 5:59:34 PMMay 12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Here is Francisco's family in Pedro Miguel, Faial as indexed by the students at the University of Minho.

Frank Sullivan

May 14, 2024, 9:02:03 PMMay 14
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for the information on my de Vargas side from Faial, it definitely helps fill in some missing parts.  I also have a Joseph de Souza Nunes born 1871/2 in Sao George.  I do not know the local area.  On his marriage record to Isabel de Vargas in Fall River Massachusetts it has his father Manuel Nunez and his mother's name as Maria Josepha.  Could his middle name of de Souza be his mother's maiden name?  I have not seen many surnames of Josepha in my research.  Is there a site where the name and his parents name could be entered to narrow down the search?