William Perry

Gonçalo Marques

Dec 26, 2022, 2:25:04 PM12/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'm investigating the patrilineal of Willam Perry that can be seen in this family search page
It doesn't allow me to see the document to get the information on the parents.
Is it something that someone in this group has access to? And can provide me with the information?

Cheers
Gonçalo

Gonçalo Marques

Dec 26, 2022, 2:34:56 PM12/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

I wasn't able to look at the document, but I found a page with the information on the parents
The father, John William Perry, is said to be from Portugal. Can someone point me to which documents to look into to try to find where in the Azores he came from?

Cheers
Gonçalo

Cheri Mello

Dec 26, 2022, 3:18:25 PM12/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gonçalo,

The Family Search community tree is a mess. Anyone, anywhere can add to it. So I could make his father be Mickey Mouse and his mother be Wilma Flintstone if I wanted to. That's not what happens though. With so many common names in one huge community/world family tree, a lot is assumed. So some of the people you search for are composites of one or more people. Just so you know. Be careful with those trees!

Yes, you have to be in a FamilySearch center to access that record. The parents of the both the bride and groom are from Sao Miguel.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Gonçalo Marques

Dec 26, 2022, 3:31:14 PM12/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the information, Cheri

I found a census document saying that John William Perry got its citizenship in 1885. Do citizenship documents have information on parents? If so, is there a place I can look for this document?

Cheers
Gonçalo

Cheri Mello

Dec 26, 2022, 3:37:41 PM12/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
The 1885 (up to about WWI) were kinda sparse. Basically, the applicant renounces his allegiance to his former king. I can try to look for you, but I need to know which state the naturalization occurred.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Gonçalo Marques

Dec 26, 2022, 3:44:57 PM12/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
His children were born in Hawaii.
So, I suppose Hawaii.

I appreciate the help. But you can also point me to where you would look for it, and I can take the time to see if I can find it.

Cheers
Gonçalo

Cheri Mello

Dec 26, 2022, 3:58:45 PM12/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I'd say the family above is his wife's family.

OK the thing about the censuses...that column is asking for the year of immigration (1885) and if an alien (AL), papers filed (Pa), or a naturalized citizen (Na). It says AL. He's an alien, immigrated in 1885. Not a good year. That book containing 1885 is missing for Sao Miguel. A huge number of years is missing (1884-1893).

However, I think they came together. The marriage column is marked m1, for first marriage of 32 years. So 1910 - 32 is marrying about 1878. So they were married for about 7 years before leaving for Hawaii.

Immigration INTO Hawaii exists. I don't believe it is online. You need to email the Portuguese Hawaiian Genealogical and Historical so they can check their inbound records. pgsh...@hotmail.com

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Gonçalo Marques

Dec 26, 2022, 4:04:53 PM12/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Thank you again. I'll do that.
Gonçalo

Cheri Mello

Dec 26, 2022, 4:10:19 PM12/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Melody Lassalle (goes by Mel) has a few free indices you can search on her Portuguese Hawaiian Genealogy page:
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

JR

Dec 26, 2022, 10:36:04 PM12/26/22
to Azores Genealogy

  Name: John William Terry
Sex: M

Household
Role
Sex
Age
Birthplace
William Terry
Son
20
Honolulu
Maria Sach
Wife

Emily Silva

16
Kilauea, Kauai
Francis De Silva

Mary Silva

Digital Folder Number: 007580012
Microfilm Number: 1711572
Originating System: EASY
Indexing Batch: M73449-6

Citing this Record
"Hawaii Marriages, 1826-1922", database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FW8H-6JV : 12 January 2020), John William Terry in entry for William Terry, 1913.

Name: William Ferry
Sex: Male
Spouse's Name: Emily Silva
Spouse's Sex: Female
Marriage Date: 3 Jul 1913
Marriage Place: Honolulu, Oahu, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Marriage Place (Original): Honolulu
Event Type: Marriage
Certificate Number: 6934

Household

Role

Sex

Age

Birthplace

Emily Silva

Wife

Digital Folder Number: 007731136
Image Number: 02073

Citing this Record
"Hawaii, Board of Health, Marriage Record Indexes, 1909-1989," database, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:CD6J-JKT2 : 1 July 2022), William Ferry, 3 Jul 1913; citing Marriage, Honolulu, Oahu, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States, Hawaii Department of Health, Office of Health Status Monitoring, Honolulu.

Gonçalo Marques

Dec 27, 2022, 2:01:13 AM12/27/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for the help
Gonçalo

Joseph Mendonca

Dec 27, 2022, 9:11:21 AM12/27/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I found this image of a marriage license record which could be them.  The names are the same but the date and record number differ from the family search record. The question is how many Emily Siva's and William Perry's were getting married in Honolulu at about the same time.  What are the odds?  It's probably them. Another piece of the puzzle.

--
Joseph Mendonca

Gonçalo Marques

Dec 27, 2022, 10:15:46 AM12/27/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it must be them. Thank you :)
Now I'm trying to find where his father John Williams Perry was born in São Miguel, Açores.

Cheers
Gonçalo