Birth & Baptism record of Jose Machado

Boyd McKee Kitchen

Dec 22, 2022, 11:20:55 PM12/22/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone look at this record and see if I'm reading it correctly?
Jose son of Antonio Machado and Antonia Jacinta
Paternal grandson of Matteus Machado and ______ Francisca
Maternal grandson of Antonio Pereira Garcia? and Catarina? Rosario?
all of fraguesia of Sao Mateus, Pico
born 31 Oct 1781
baptized 5 Nov 1781

Boyd

Cheri Mello

Dec 23, 2022, 12:03:39 AM12/23/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Boyd, you must have linked the wrong record. Jose is the son of Manuel Francisco and Isabel Francisca.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

SUSAN MURPHY

Dec 23, 2022, 12:17:45 AM12/23/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
It’s on the right side Cheri.
I believe he was paternal grandson of Maria Francisca…. If you look at his letter M on Machado and Mattheus it looks the same for the M

I don’t think Antonio Pereira’s last name is Garcia. Looks like a word like Nazaret? Not that I’ve heard of that as a surname.
The wife I think you are right Catharina Rozario

Susan Vargas Murphy

Cheri Mello

Dec 23, 2022, 12:25:11 AM12/23/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Oops, didn't read that far!

Yeah, paternal grandma is Maria Francisca as Susan said (she compared the Ms).

I read the maternals as Antonio Pereira de Nazaret (I wonder if that's an alcunha) and Cana do Rosario. Catarina is usually C with the na raised. I wonder if he meant to write Ca and then the na raised.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2022, 2:42:15 AM12/23/22
to Azores Genealogy

I read the paternal grandparents as stated by Cheri and Susan.

I read the maternal grandfather as stated by Cheri as Antonio Pereira de Nazaret.  This may be an alternate spelling of Nazaré, which in English in Nazareth.

My first thought with the maternal grandmother was Candida do Rosario which is usually abbreviated as Can.a  which is what I read.  As Cheri said, Catarina is usually C.na.  However, Citcem gives her name as Catarina do Rosario.  It lists her husband as Antonio Pereira Garcia Nazaré.

 CITCEM: http://www.ghp.ics.uminho.pt/geneweb/gwd.exe?b=Matca;lang=pt;p=antonio+pereira+garcia;n=nazare

Bill Seidler

Philippe GARNIER

Dec 23, 2022, 6:25:00 AM12/23/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Boyd McKee Kitchen

Dec 23, 2022, 10:12:45 AM12/23/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for taking a look at this. It is true I get my right and left mixed up often. It is in the lower right of the image.
Boyd

Cheri Mello

Dec 23, 2022, 11:04:07 AM12/23/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, Candida makes sense. Never seen it abbreviated though. I think Citcem has it wrong. So I pulled the marriage (top right):

Nope, she is Catarina. Guess the priest has an inventive abbreviation. I've never seen Catarina abbreviated that way. The mystery of Nazare is solved though. It's the groom's mom's religious name. Probably too many Antonio Pereira's running around.
image.png

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Gayle Machado

Dec 23, 2022, 7:49:47 PM12/23/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cheri,

CITCEM has (in order of appearance):
     Parents: Antonio Machado Mancebo and Antonia Jacinta;
     Paternos: Matheus Machado and Maria Francisca;
    Maternos: Antonio Pereira Garcia Nazare and Catarina Rosario.

Hope that helps more than confuses the issue.

Gayle

On Dec 23, 2022, at 8:04 AM, Cheri Mello <gfsc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, Candida makes sense. Never seen it abbreviated though. I think Citcem has it wrong. So I pulled the marriage (top right):

Nope, she is Catarina. Guess the priest has an inventive abbreviation. I've never seen Catarina abbreviated that way. The mystery of Nazare is solved though. It's the groom's mom's religious name. Probably too many Antonio Pereira's running around.

Boyd McKee Kitchen

Dec 23, 2022, 9:18:55 PM12/23/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for finding this marriage record. CITCEM helps find records and it gives us at least an interpretation of the records. This record is particularly difficult for me to read. Here is what I read:
I have a hard time reading the date, but can believe it is as recorded in CITCEM, 20 Feb 1730
Groom: Antonio Pereira son of Joam (Joao) Pereira, deceased and ______ de Nazareth (CITCEM says Maria, I can't see the abbreviation M.a, looks more like Rita to me).
Bride: Catharina do Rosario daughter of Francisco Fernandes and ______ Dutra (Blan?a???)
It appears that the brides family is from the island of Faial. Can you read the freguesia name?
Boyd

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2022, 10:37:41 PM12/23/22
to Azores Genealogy
My interpretations are in red:

Thank you for finding this marriage record. CITCEM helps find records and it gives us at least an interpretation of the records. This record is particularly difficult for me to read. Here is what I read:
I have a hard time reading the date, but can believe it is as recorded in CITCEM, 20 Feb 1730
Groom: Antonio Pereira son of Joam (Joao) Pereira, deceased and M.a (Maria) de Nazareth (CITCEM says Maria, I can't see the abbreviation M.a, looks more like Rita to me).
Bride: Catharina do Rosario daughter of Francisco Fernandes and Margarida Dutra já defuntos (both deceased)
It appears that the brides family is from the island of Faial. Can you read the freguesia name?
Freguesia de (Nossa Denhora de) Luz lugar dos Flamengos da ilha do Faial

Bill Seidler

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2022, 11:59:04 PM12/23/22
to Azores Genealogy
I meant Nossa Senhora da Luz.

Bill

Philippe GARNIER

Dec 24, 2022, 7:15:35 AM12/24/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I read Cathariba do Rozario : without doubt ! The abbrevations of Catarina are severel : C.na, Cn.a  Ca.na ...

Nazaré is a chritian name, as Conceição or Asenção In Terceira, they are a lot of.

Abs

Philippe Garnier
Paris - France