Penninsular Ship

Lisa Harley

Jan 12, 2023, 8:20:35 PM1/12/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am searching for a ship manifest from 18 June 1898 to New York from the Azores to New York.  (It may no longer exist - see below)

Pic is from the FHC site of New York Passenger Lists for the time frame. and there was nothing from June 13th to June 29th 1898.

image.png

Also, if anyone knows of a picture or drawing of the Penninsular.  Many of our Azorean ancestors sailed here on it.

Thank you!

Lisa Parkin (formerly Harley)
Bell Buckle, TN

Researching
Caetano, Azevedo, Sousa, Avila, Gabriel - Sao Jorge
Azevedo - Pico

Cheri Mello

Jan 12, 2023, 8:54:29 PM1/12/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
The S.S. Peninsular:

Or here (do Ctrl+F then type peninsular)

I checked the Morton Allan Directory of European Passenger Steamship Arrivals (mine is the 2001 reprint).
Year 1898 (Page 62)
Insular Navigation Company
Azores, Lisbon -- New Bedford, Mass. -- New York
NY Arrival dates for the Peninsular:
Jan. 13
Mar. 7
Jun. 18
Jul. 22
Sept. 15
Nov. 2
Dec. 16

From "American Passenger Arrival Records" by Michael C. Tepper (mine is the 1996 reprint).
Page 126
Port of New York, NY

Lists: 16 Jun 1897 - 1957 (T715)

Indexes: 16 Jun 1897 - 30 Jun 1903 (T519)

The T numbers are the NARA film numbers.

Here is the FHLC (Family History Library Catalog) entry for T715:

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

daniel mendonca

Jan 28, 2023, 7:07:07 PM1/28/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
My mother came here on the Peninsular in Sept. 1903, but the boat landed in New Bedford, mass. I found the ships manifest on the atlantic ports in ancestry.

Jan 28, 2023, 7:17:00 PM1/28/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Daniel M,

And my ancestor came on the Peninsular in 1901, was counted in NY, but disembarked in New Bedford.
Her husband came in 1903 and it sailed into NY, but he was counted (as well as disembarked) in Boston.

David Fredette