de Mello

Marie Shantz

May 18, 2024, 2:07:02 PMMay 18
to Azores Genealogy
My great grandparents Francisco de Mello and Theresa de Jesus after arriving to the Big Island of Hawaii had their last child and named her Jacintha de Mello born January 21, 1890, who eventually married and Andrade and had children.

However, It has come to my attention that they had another child in Sao Miguel who was also name Jacinta de Mello born January 4, 1872.  I suspect as has been done in the past, that if a previous named child has passed away, the parents many times have another child and name that child for the one that has passed.  I do not have any data on the possible passing of this child.  Any help is appreciated

Marie

Cheri Mello

May 18, 2024, 2:10:31 PMMay 18
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marie,

Do you have the freguesia from where your family came? On the passenger list to Hawaii, was this other Jacinta listed? For example, your ancestors immigrated in 1880 and there's no 8 year old girl (named Jacinta) with them. Then you'd look for the older Jacinta's death between 4 Jan 1872 and their arrival date in Hawaii. Unless Jacinta (born 4 Jan 1872) has a margin note about her passing.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Marie Shantz

May 18, 2024, 4:07:34 PMMay 18
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Vila Franca Sao Miguel Matriz. She isn’t listed in the ships manifest

Marie
Sent from my iPhone

On May 18, 2024, at 2:10 PM, Cheri Mello <gfsc...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/CAKUUw_EpeYtDNk%3DbLXOMAoxREcUiy2sJYvGofAJAFjOZ3UgoeA%40mail.gmail.com.

Cheri Mello

May 18, 2024, 4:12:13 PMMay 18
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maria,

Then Jacinta died between the date of her birth and the date of the manifest.

A few indices exist for the Sao Miguel church of Vila Franca.
2) Scroll down to Indices
3) Pick the 3rd link for the obitos.
4) Jacintas start on image 52.
Happy hunting,