Can anyone help with this marriage from Pico?

71 views
Skip to first unread message

Lucas Luis

unread,
Sep 4, 2026, 9:15:14 PMSep 4
to Azores Genealogy
I need help with this marriage record from madalena, between Antonio de Avila and Teresa Garcia. I had trouble making out most of this record, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
-Lucas

Boyd McKee Kitchen

unread,
Sep 4, 2026, 10:38:41 PMSep 4
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I also have a hard time with this record. I can make out almost nothing in the top portion where the ink from the previous page bled through. But I think I see the following details later in the record:

Ant.o de Avila fo de Mel de Avila e Maria da ? Vieira de Maria ???  de Miguel Texeira e Maria ?aeda naturais de ilha de Sao Jorge com Maria Garcia fa de Joao Vieira e de Bai?s Garcia naturais e fraguezes desta freguesia de Santa Madelena ....

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to azores+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/1b4c4798-96ce-4e3b-a190-97648015717cn%40googlegroups.com.

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 5, 2026, 12:01:10 PMSep 5
to azo...@googlegroups.com
11 Fev 1715 (the month and year is a guess from the next record) - I see digo on the next line, but I don't think it has to do with the date (I'm guessing he left out a part of the format).

Antonio de Avila son of Manuel de Avila and of his wife Maria do? Salicas?? Vieira or viuva de Maria Fagundes daughter of Miguel Teixeira and of his wife Maria Paula?? natives of the island of Sao Jorge.

Theresa Garcia dau. of Joao Vieira and of his wife Brites Garcia natives of this parish....

I don't understand the multiple parents on Antonio. Or if I have the "viuva" correct.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada


Philippe GARNIER

unread,
Sep 6, 2026, 10:36:25 AMSep 6
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucas,

11 fev. 1720
An.to de Avila f.° de M.el de Avila e de sua m.er Ilena Gonsalves, viuvo de Maria paula, natural da Ilha Sao Jorge
com Thereza garcia f.a de João Vieira e de sua m.er Breitis Garcia nat. desta freg. de Maria Magdalena.




Bill Seidler

unread,
Sep 6, 2026, 1:35:35 PMSep 6
to Azores Genealogy
I don't know why they name the parents of the deceased ex-spouse as I've never seen this before, but this is what I see:

Antonio de Avila, son of Manuel de Avila and Elena Gonçalves, widow of Maria Fagundes daughter of Miguel Teixeira and Maria Paula, naturals of the Island of Sao Jorge, com Teresa Garcia, daughter of João Vieira and his wife Brites Garcia, naturals and parishioners of this parish of Santa Maria Magdalena.  

Bill Seidler

Lucas Luis

unread,
Sep 7, 2026, 4:16:34 PMSep 7
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the help. The addition of the deceased spouse is what really stumped me. I am confused whether Antonio and his parents are from Sao Jorge, or his deceased spouse is from sao jorge.

Bill Seidler

unread,
Sep 7, 2026, 7:33:55 PMSep 7
to Azores Genealogy

This is likely Antonio’s previous marriage since his former spouse and her parents’ names match the record you gave:  https://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-VL-URZELINA-C-1701-1729/SJR-VL-URZELINA-C-1701-1729_item1/index.html?page=6 (lower half).  It shows his is widower of Ursula Medina (I think) and is from Rosales (Old Portuguese/Galician for Rosais).  His parents are not named.

 

CITCEM lists Antonio and Teresa with 3 kids: Antonio in 1721, Ana in 1727, and Maria in 1729.  

Here are their baptisms:

Antonio https://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/PIC-MD-MADALENA-B-1716-1724/PIC-MD-MADALENA-B-1716-1724_item1/index.html?page=76 (bottom left)

Ana: https://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/PIC-MD-MADALENA-B-1725-1734/PIC-MD-MADALENA-B-1725-1734_item1/index.html?page=60 (middle left)

Maria: https://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/PIC-MD-MADALENA-B-1725-1734/PIC-MD-MADALENA-B-1725-1734_item1/index.html?page=101 (top left)

 

The first two say he is from the parish of NS do Rosario on Sao Jorge Island which could be Topo or Rosais.  I believe the last one specifically says Rosales (Old Portuguese/Galician for Rosais).

I've had no luck in finding his first marriage or his parents that are named in his last marriage (the one you posted)

Bill Seidler

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages