What is CITCEM?

Cheri Mello

Jul 20, 2024, 9:57:28 AM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to Azores Genealogy
Repost for Yvonne Domings, ydomings at gmail.com

Quick question for those who are new to the group or don't read the digest all the time. Can someone please provide a link to Citcem or explain what it is?

This is a great group. I have been subscribed for many years. Sadly, I only have time to read when I'm actively working on my ancestry. I have been reading again lately and would like to add my kudos to the help given by seasoned folks. I also appreciate the way Cheri encourages people to learn to do translation by helping them one step at a time!

Yvonne Domings

Cheri Mello

Jul 20, 2024, 10:17:26 AM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to Azores Genealogy
CITCEM is an acronym for Centro de Investigação Transdisciplinar Cultura, Espaço, e Memória which Google says is Center for Transdisciplinary Research Culture, Space, and Memory
Our part is under GHP - Grupo de História das Populações which Google says is Population History Group.

So really it's CITCEM - GHP. You can do a search for "citcem ghp" and it will pop up. But it's probably better to bookmark it:

For the Azores, it's mostly Pico and Faial (missing 1 freguesia on Faial). They did work on Corvo, the smallest island, and one freguesia on Sao Jorge. There's a little bit of the continent of Portugal. If you use Tombo.pt and the Azores GenWeb, it's cross referenced there.

I don't recall how many years ago it may have been. Perhaps 25 years or something in that ballpark. Someone at the University of Minho had the idea to create an index of the population. The work was done by university students. Celeste Perry, who is in her mid-80s now and no longer contributes to this list, was there doing her own research. They were talking and whatever else students do when completing what was probably a boring task for them. So there are errors. It's always best to go to the original record to see what the record really said. They do accept corrections. I'd have to poke around. It was somewhere on the bottom of the website.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Keith DaSilva

Jul 20, 2024, 10:17:41 AM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to Azores Genealogy
CITCEM-GHP (uminho.pt)

this website is maintained by a mainland Portuguese cultural and history group.  there is a specific link for genealogists to use.  university students, i believe, poured through church registries for a few of the centra islands in the Azores and parts of mainland Portugal.  A huge resource for those researching Faial, Sao Jorge, Pico and Corvo.  here you can search on an island and person.   it will then provide parents, children, potentially siblings.  it will take you forward and back.  quite robust.  not always perfect.  seldom but it does occur a date of birth and a marriage date might suggest someone was 9 and married or deceased at a highly improbable time.  but often it works quite well.

Anastacio Silveira

Jul 20, 2024, 11:02:47 AM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to Azores Genealogy
Thank you very much for all of this of wealth of information.  I will keep coming back.

Rich Mueller

Jul 20, 2024, 12:07:21 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cheri,
I know this question is outside of this specific group, but for many of us with ancestors from Hawaii, Maderia is an important part of our investigations. So.... do you know why Maderia isn't included in the CITCEM? Mahalo!

Oluʻolu lā
Rich Mueller

Cheri Mello

Jul 20, 2024, 12:11:49 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Rich M,

Why didn't they do the islands of Santa Maria, Sao Miguel, Terceira, Flores, Graciosa, or Lisbon, or Porto, or or or?? Who knows. :) You can go to the CITCEM page, look for the contact information and ask. Those in charge all those years ago may no longer be employed, so I don't know if you'll get a satisfactory answer, but you could email and try.