Ermida of Nossa Senhora da Paz near Vila Franca, Sao Miguel island

Cheri Mello

Jan 20, 2023, 11:55:23 AM1/20/23
to Azores Genealogy
The ermida (chapel) of Nossa Senhora da Paz is near Vila Franca, on Sao Miguel island. Most photos show something like this:
image.png

So much more photography is being utilized by drones now. Here's the same ermida from the air:
image.png

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

JesseAndDeborah Mendonca

Jan 20, 2023, 12:05:02 PM1/20/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
That drone shot is spectacular.   A beautiful church/cathedral.   Thanks Cheri.

ah.da....@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2023, 2:05:25 PM1/20/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com

From the outside it is very beautiful. I am intrigued by the 10 sets of stairs going up to the chapel.  What are they? The 10 Commandments?

Rick

--

image001.png
image002.png

Cheri Mello

Jan 20, 2023, 2:14:53 PM1/20/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
They are different religious scenes. I can't recall exactly what, as it has been many years since I've been there. It wasn't the Stations of the Cross either. I tried a Google search. Some show a couple of tiles, but I can't find a photo that shows all the tiles.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Liz Migliori

Jan 20, 2023, 3:35:05 PM1/20/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com

What does ermida mean?
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 20, 2023, at 2:05 PM, Ah.da....@gmail.com wrote:

From the outside it is very beautiful. I am intrigued by the 10 sets of stairs going up to the chapel.  What are they? The 10 Commandments?

Rick

Cheri Mello

Jan 20, 2023, 3:35:52 PM1/20/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Chapel

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Hughes Roselyn

Jan 20, 2023, 10:43:48 PM1/20/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cheri,

The website   https://www.cmvfc.pt/conhecer/monumentos/ Monumentos – CMVFC   Then click on Ermida Nossa Senhora da Paz.  It indicates the following regarding the religious significance of the 10 stairs.

Em 1968 foi construída a escadaria que tem 10 patamares, que representam os Pai-Nossos dos Mistérios Gozosos e Dolorosos, e 100 degraus, referentes às Ave-Marias, correspondendo no seu conjunto a dois terços do rosário.

Os Mistérios Gloriosos estão representados em cinco painéis de azulejos, no adro, por detrás da Ermida.

No base da escadaria está o busto do Prior António Jacinto de Medeiros, prior da Igreja Matriz de Vila Franca do Campo onde exerceu o sacerdócio durante 58 anos, grande impulsionador da escadaria. Sob a sua alçada, a pequena e humilde ermida registou muitas obras de manutenção e diversos melhoramentos. O busto é da autoria de Hélder Carvalho.

Translated:  In 1968, the staircase was built, which has 10 levels, which represent the Our Fathers of the Joyous and Sorrowful Mysteries, and 100 steps, referring to the Hail Marys, corresponding to two thirds of the rosary.

The Glorious Mysteries are represented in five tile panels, in the churchyard, behind the Chapel.

At the base of the staircase is the bust of Prior António Jacinto de Medeiros, prior of the Main Church of Vila Franca do Campo where he exercised the priesthood for 58 years, a great driver of the staircase. Under his supervision, the small and humble chapel underwent many maintenance works and various improvements. The bust is by Hélder Carvalho.

Hope this helps.
Roselyn
Researching Altares

Cheri Mello

Jan 21, 2023, 1:22:02 PM1/21/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank goodness someone found that. Thank you Roselyn!

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

ah.da....@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2023, 2:35:30 PM1/21/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Roselyn, Thank you for finding the answer to our question.  I suspected it may have been the Rosary as the first picture seemed to represent the Annunciation . I just couldn’t get a picture good enough to make out what the other pictures were.

image001.png
image002.png

SUSAN MURPHY

Jan 22, 2023, 12:13:56 AM1/22/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I have this picture from last summer and if you pull it up you can see Rick is right, the bottom tile is the Annunciation, then the Visitation, The Birth of Christ, The Presentation.. those are visible. I know I took pictures of all of them once years ago….. but they aren’t in my iPhone library.
Susan

IMG_7050

On Jan 21, 2023, at 11:35 AM, ah.da....@gmail.com wrote:

<image001.png>

So much more photography is being utilized by drones now. Here's the same ermida from the air:

<image002.png>

ah.da....@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2023, 1:29:23 PM1/22/23
to azo...@googlegroups.com, Rick Pimentel

Yes I can make them out much better. If I ever get to Sao Miguel I will have this on my to see list. Thanks

Rick

image001.jpg