Family Home Search

Robert Costa

Mar 1, 2024, 1:33:30 PMMar 1
to Azores Genealogy
My grandfather's family was from Raminho, Terceira.  He came to California in 1920, but never returned to visit. I plan to travel there sometime soon and would like to see where the family lived.  Since I don't think that there are any living descendants in Raminho, and I don't know any other relatives on Terceira, I was wondering if there is any real possibility of locating the family home.

Are there ownership records available?  How would one get started in locating the home? The only real clue I have found in vital records (my great grandfathers death record) is a reference to: Grota dos Folhadais. I see there is a road with that name in the village, but the maps are not clear where the road begins and ends, and there are numerous houses.

Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Cheri Mello

Mar 2, 2024, 10:28:03 AMMar 2
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Are you sure your ancestors were landowners and not renters? If they were owners, I *think* the records might be at the Camara, but I'm not sure. That information is at home and I'm not going to be home this weekend.

The only reason I got to see my ancestors' home was because they grew pineapples and everyone knew it.

As for not understanding where the road starts and stops, that's correct. The streets there have that name for only a few blocks. Then it changes names. When you are there and you look at the buildings, there will be a sign so you will see the street name and when it changes.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Robert Costa

Mar 2, 2024, 3:54:31 PMMar 2
to Azores Genealogy
Thank you, Cheri.  I don"t know if they owned or rented.  All that I can say with any degree of certainty is that the vital records indicate they lived on that road from at least 1900 to 1939.

Robert Costa

Jun 11, 2024, 1:30:34 PM (11 days ago) Jun 11
to Azores Genealogy
I have since learned that the family home is still owned by descendants of my great grandfather. I found a relative that could tell me some information, but is unable to recall exactly where the house is located.  I have a general idea of location, and know the names of current and past owners.  It has been suggested that if I travel to that village, then someone could direct me to the house, though another relative tried that a few years back and was apparently misdirected.
I would really like to determine the house location before I make the trip. Would it be feasible to find someone through this forum that has current connections there and might be able to assist me? Thanks to anyone willing to assist.

Cheri Mello

Jun 12, 2024, 10:30:45 AM (10 days ago) Jun 12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
There's only 565 people in Raminho. Instead of asking for the house, ask for where the family lives. Be aware that streets can have one name for one block and another name for the next block. If one person doesn't know, ask another. Also, they may be known by the alcunha or family nickname.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

ROBERT COSTA

Jun 12, 2024, 11:04:55 AM (10 days ago) Jun 12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Cheri. A visiting relative had tried that approach, but was misdirected to the wrong house. I know that it is currently owned by family, but it is now rented to someone else. Since my family is not living there, I’m thinking that I would have even greater difficulty by asking where the family lived.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 12, 2024, at 7:30 AM, Cheri Mello <gfsc...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/CAKUUw_ExM%2BHvujLUeTOOXT5eR_B1YC3BdfXZ5%3DGM-PR1fgmbsw%40mail.gmail.com.

Cheri Mello

Jun 12, 2024, 11:08:02 AM (10 days ago) Jun 12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like the trick is finding out the name of "someone else."