Genealogy Studies Program Inquiry

Tanya Smith

Aug 25, 2022, 4:16:17 PM8/25/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Aloha,

I have been collecting family records and photos for over 30 years now and I mean just that "collecting" with no order or sense of it all.  Family members seem to think that I know all about the family both Hawaiian, Chinese and Portuguese sides, but they are all  far from correct. I am currently residing on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.

I have always had a deep desire and interest in the field, but never the time. I am planning an early retirement (January 2023) and I am wanting to learn about genealogical research skills and the profession.  I am hoping that some of the members here can recommend a good place to start.  I have been looking at the  Boston University Genealogy Studies Program. If any one here could help to steer me in the best direction, I would appreciate it. I am open to suggestions and tips regarding education, mentoring programs and groups and more.

My limited experiences are: Surfing Ancestry.com, Roots Magic (where I keep my limited family records - 4 generations), some family genealogy files from an aunt who has lost most of her memory about family roots ( she says she would do both sourcing and spiritual connections, if that is legit??) and 3 large messy drawers with photos, random records and loose pedigree and family sheets.

Sincerely,

Tanya

Tanya K. Smith

tanya8...@gmail.com

Cheri Mello

Aug 25, 2022, 4:22:27 PM8/25/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tanya,

No specific program for Chinese, Hawaiian, or Portuguese exists.

I'd start with general genealogy, which would be using American records. You can see if your local adult school teaches classes or if your local or regional genealogy society has classes. You can start attending conferences (in person or virtual). You can also go to your public library and check out general genealogy books. One of my favorites is "Unpuzzling Your Past" by Emily Anne Croom. Sure, you could do a formal study program, such as the one you mentioned.

Also, I'd start working my tree back beyond 4 generations if possible. That my be taking you out of America. If it is, then I'd start adding all your parents' siblings and their offspring to your genealogy program. Then do the same with all your grandparents' siblings and your greats as well. Work those lines forward as much as possible. It will strengthen your research skills.

Good luck,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Tanya Smith

Aug 25, 2022, 10:15:15 PM8/25/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your advice on working "forward". Brilliant!

Tanya

--
Tanya K. Smith

tanya8...@gmail.com