another KING conundrum

71 views
Skip to first unread message

Roger C. Memos

unread,
Sep 23, 2026, 10:47:09 PMSep 23
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
While the surname is fresh in people's mind.. i need assistance with a gg grandmother named Phebe King Born 1852 or 1855  in Provincetown Mass and dies June 30, 1883 , also in Provincetown
I believe her parents (my ggg grandparents) to be Hannah or Anna King and Manuel King, born in 1832 , perhaps in Fayal 

Manuel's parents may be Joseph A. King and Josie Medeiros

To add another layer to the story, I'm trying to find the parentage of Amelia King De Costa born 1852-ish  She was married to Manuel DeCosta Born around 1850. Both born in Azores.  Amelia              (Emelia, Melia) were sisters, I believe, The DeCostas lived on Alden Street in 1900 and 1910/

Not a lot to go on but I bet someone may have a lead for me.

Thanks so much!

Roger C. Memos

Bob King

unread,
Sep 24, 2026, 10:49:49 AMSep 24
to azo...@googlegroups.com, azo...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Roger!

I found a marriage record in FamilySearch for a Manuel Costa and Amelia King, 1 Nov 1876 in Provincetown.  Must be your family.  It lists both sets of parents, and birth years.  Also have the 1910 Census, with 3 of Manuel and Melia’s children.

Bob King


Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2026, at 7:47 PM, Roger C. Memos <rogc...@gmail.com> wrote:


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to azores+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/CAJgWCF7X5SLYSyLpo5cHZvvcfC4PqTA24YRXFgOnCgP97mnC4w%40mail.gmail.com.

Bob King

unread,
Sep 24, 2026, 10:49:58 AMSep 24
to azo...@googlegroups.com, azo...@googlegroups.com
PS. Who did Phebe/Phoebe marry?


Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2026, at 11:12 PM, Bob King <vbob...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey, Roger!

Bob King

unread,
Sep 24, 2026, 10:50:02 AMSep 24
to azo...@googlegroups.com, azo...@googlegroups.com
Roger.  Source says it was Amelia’s second marriage, Manuel’s first.


Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2026, at 11:12 PM, Bob King <vbob...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey, Roger!

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 24, 2026, 10:51:28 AMSep 24
to Azores Genealogy
Phoebe - maybe that's from Filomena.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Roger C. Memos

unread,
Sep 24, 2026, 12:19:59 PMSep 24
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Phebe (Philomena - Thank you Cheri) married Joseph Caton in Provincetown and thanks Bob for Family search lead!
Roger

I also want to prove that Hannah (Anna?) King is Amelia's sister

Phil Lopes

unread,
Sep 24, 2026, 12:20:13 PMSep 24
to Azores Genealogy
Cheri,
I have more than 14,000 conversations that I would like to delete, how do I do it?
Thanks
Phil

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 11:54:42 AMSep 25
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Phil,

That's a Gmail question since this is coming from Gmail. I'd go to "All Mail" on the left. Then you'll see this:
image.png

Clicking that box where the red arrow is deletes ALL messages in your email box, whether they are the Azores list or not. It deletes 50 at a time. So you'll have to do 280 deletions (I'd do a few a day).

If the Azores list mail is mixed in with other mail, you'll have to delete them one at a time. I don't know any other way.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Boyd McKee Kitchen

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 2:12:32 PMSep 25
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Another way to delete in batches would be to put Azores in the search line at the top of your gmail inbox. Then you can select whole batches to delete at a time. You can set the number of emails you see in a batch in the upper right corner. Click the box above on the left side to select all emails, then scan them to make sure you don't want to delete anything in that batch. If you find some you don't want to delete, simply click on it's box and it will deselect that email.

Robyn Horan

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 11:26:32 PMSep 25
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil

If you are working on a computer rather than a phone it can be a lot faster. 

Are the emails in your deleted mail folder or mixed in with all your other active mail?

To do a quick delete from the bin, then open the bin and do a search with a specific phrase. Be careful with the phrase. Then right mouse click and you get something like a delete forever option. Select that and you then get an option to delete all search results. It will still take a long time but should do it in one hit. BUT it’s still risky as you might delete something you want to keep. 

It’s If they’re not in the bin you can do the search then delete them, and then follow the same steps as above. AGAIN it’s fast but you can still delete something thing you want to keep. 
Email me direct if you want some screenshots. 

Robyn
Sunny Sydney. 

Donna Hinson

unread,
Sep 26, 2026, 11:17:18 AMSep 26
to azo...@googlegroups.com, Cheri Mello
Thanks Cheri, that's helpful info to be able to delete gmail in mass!  Thought I would piggyback on your email.  Don't know if this would be helpful to anyone but I use Thunderbird as my email client.  It automatically downloads all email sent to me so I have it on my laptop as well as it is on gmail.  But, to avoid so many emails on gmail,  I set up a filter to automatically delete all incoming and outgoing emails so it goes to trash after it downloads to my laptop.  Since everything on gmail goes to trash due to the filter, it automatically is deleted in 30 days or I can go to my phone and check the trash folder and delete everything in trash.  

It does mean I have to clean up email periodically on Thunderbird but I don't accumulate thousands of emails in either inbox or sent box and don't have to log into Google to check my mail, although for some, Thunderbird or any email client may not be useful.  It's an individual preference thing.  

One can set up filters in Thunderbird.  It's quite good about learning what you mark as spam.  Actually IMO it's better at filtering spam than gmail as I've found emails from the Azores list gmail marked spam which didn't get downloaded.  I plan to fix that issue asap.  I don't allow an email provider to decide what's spam for me because Thunderbird does a better job after I've marked it myself.  

You can also set up folders in Thunderbird easily so one can have one especially for Azores emails if they want.  I've been using it for years and never had a problem.  I believe there's a Thunderbird app for Android phones as well but I find using my laptop is easier for me.  IMO Thunderbird gives me more control rather than gmail having control.  My filter eliminates hundreds or thousands of emails building up in gmail's inbox.  But yes, even in Thunderbird, one still had to do some file "cleanup" work periodically.  

Donna Hinson

unread,
Sep 26, 2026, 11:21:22 AMSep 26
to azo...@googlegroups.com, Cheri Mello
I forgot two things regarding Thunderbird that might be helpful to quickly delete emails, although maybe there's probably a way to do this online at gmail.  I just find Thunderbird an easy to use email client plus it's free.

You can click on the Correspondents header (in Thunderbird) and it will sort all those that sent you mail in alphabetical order so one could, for example, go to Azores quickly and delete all of them.  

You can also sort by date by clicking on the date header.  





On 9/25/2026 10:54 AM, Cheri Mello wrote:
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages