General Question on Last Name differences in the same family

Ed Silveira

Aug 6, 2022, 10:21:31 AM8/6/22
to Azores Genealogy
Good morning and hope all are well ....

My grandfather and grandmother had 7 children, and I have found their baptism records and confirmed they were all born to the same parents.

Of those seven 4 have the last name Silveira, 3 have Silvia.

Just wondering if the change took place by an immigration official, or a census taker or someone else?

Any ideas would be welcome ...

Thanks,
Ed

I've attached one of the Silvia boy's baptism record
John Silvia Baptism to Silveira.jpg

Liz Migliori

Aug 6, 2022, 12:08:44 PM8/6/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
This looks like father is Silveira. Beautiful record.  Twins right???

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 6, 2022, at 10:21 AM, Ed Silveira <vovo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Good morning and hope all are well ....
John Silvia Baptism to Silveira.jpg

Cheri Mello

Aug 6, 2022, 12:10:35 PM8/6/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Generally when the kid became of age, they pick the surname to honor whichever family line.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Ed Silveira

Aug 6, 2022, 2:18:12 PM8/6/22
to Azores Genealogy
Yes, Lismig, his brother Manuel is the twin, and both took Silvia as the family name.  So did an older brother and then another set of twins who were younger took the Silveira name.  And I agree I wish all entries were that easy to read (though I haven't cracked the margin note yet, lol)

  Cheri, I had heard that and am curious what their passports say and how they are listed on the ship's manifest assuming they all came here together.  I am hoping one of the Silvia descendants takes and submits a DNA test.

Thanks as always

Cheri Mello

Aug 6, 2022, 2:49:18 PM8/6/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Ed S,

Depending on when the came and the ages, they could all have ditto marks indicating the same name as the father, especially if they were children. Then the kids could have grown up and picked a different surname.

Margin: Married on the 15 Nov. 1945 with Maria Inacia, age 23? years, native of the freguesia of Conceicao ? of this council, reg. # 199? page 128 of the book of marriages. Dated 17 Nov? 1945
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Ed Silveira

Aug 6, 2022, 3:36:19 PM8/6/22
to Azores Genealogy
Thanks Cheri ...as I've said many time, you are the best.  Cheers

Liz Migliori

Aug 6, 2022, 5:18:56 PM8/6/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
OK Ed tell me where it says they took the name Silvia. Is it in this document??
I hope I haven’t been missing something like this for many….

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 6, 2022, at 2:18 PM, Ed Silveira <vovo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, Lismig, his brother Manuel is the twin, and both took Silvia as the family name.  So did an older brother and then another set of twins who were younger took the Silveira name.  And I agree I wish all entries were that easy to read (though I haven't cracked the margin note yet, lol)

Ed Silveira

Aug 9, 2022, 8:00:25 AM8/9/22
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Lizmig,

I'm sure you have not been missing anything .. I should have included page 2 of the baptism to give a complete record of the entry (attached below).  If I have it right when a child attains maturity (comes of age) they pick the surname they wish.  Since they were twins it might have been comical, but not to researchers if they had each picked a different surname.  I am continuing to look for passage, passport, or naturalization information as I like what Cheri said .. Ditto marks are handy but sure can be confusing.

Rest easy and best wishes,
Ed
Doc - Baptism John Furtado Silveira-Silvia 1884 Jan 20 pg 2.jpg

elizabeth migliori

Aug 12, 2022, 6:13:54 PM8/12/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com

How can I tell where it says they took the name?  I can’t figure it out.

Sent from Mail for Windows

elizabeth migliori

Aug 12, 2022, 6:14:03 PM8/12/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ed,

OK so just as I sent that first email this popped up.

But I still don’t get it.  Where on page 2 does it say it?   What might specific words be that would be used

Sent from Mail for Windows