Beatriz Vicente de Medeiros born in Ginetes, Sao Miguel

Julie Harbeson

Jul 19, 2022, 5:26:56 PM7/19/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm trying to understand the attached documents that are in Portuguese.  The Baptism of Beatriz Vicente de Medeiros and her parents' marriage records.
Beatriz was born in Ginetes on the island of Sao Miguel in 1897 per the attached baptism record.  Could someone please translate the date she was born, her parents' names, livelihood etc.  Also, could you kindly identify the other names that are listed, their complete names and relationship to Beatriz, along with any other information you think may be of importance.

Also, attached is her parents' marriage record.  Could you please let me know what it says (names, dates, livelihood, etc), along with identifying the other names and their relationship to my grandmother's parents, Joao Vicente de Medeiros and Maria da Conceicao.

This will be of great help tracing our family genealogy.

My grandmother came to America and settled in Fall River, MA, in or about 1910 or 1911.

Thank you :)

Julie

1 - Beatriz Vicente de Medeiros Baptisim.pdf
1 - Joao Vicente de Medeiros marriage records - GINETES-1876.pdf

Cheri Mello

Jul 19, 2022, 5:43:47 PM7/19/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Julie H,

You are in the 3rd time period. And the baptism is a fill-in-the-blank from. All you need is a few key words and you'll be able to pick stuff out. That's how most of us learned. Names are always capitalized and look like names. So step one would be to extract names. Maybe you won't know who is who, but you'll eventually learn.

Here is a guide that gives you keyword. At the end, click the link and it will take you to a page with a Portuguese document and a line by line translation. Print those out and make them your bathroom reading literature or something :)

The baptism occurred on 18 April 1897. She was born at 9 pm on 20 Mar of the same year. She was 2nd of the name (in this case, the Beatriz before her has probably already died). She is the daughter of João Vicente de Medeiros, worker, and Maria da Conceição, domestic, and the paternal granddaughter of Vicente José de Medeiros and Victoria de Jesus and the maternal granddaughter of incognito (unknown) and Francisca de Jesus. Her godparents were Manuel de Aguiar and Maria Jorgina, both single.

The marriage says on 19 Mar 1876, João Vicente de Medeiros, 19 years old, single, son of Vicente José de Medeiros and Victoria Emilia de Jesus, married Maria da Conceição, daughter natural (that means out of wedlock) of Francisca de Jesus and pai incognito (father unknown). They forgot Maria's age. The parents gave consent. They were not cousins.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Julie Harbeson

Jul 20, 2022, 1:54:09 PM7/20/22
to Azores Genealogy
Thanks Cheri for the translations and providing me with information on my grandmothers family.  Now I can continue digging around for more info on her parents etc.

Yes, you were right, my grandmother was the 2nd Beatriz.  She had told me that the 1st Beatriz died.  She also told me that her mother had 24 kids and that a few died.  My grandmother was one of the youngest.  I can't image anyone having 24 kids, but I must have lots of relatives out there....lol.

Just wondering if you have any insight on how I might find more info on her mother, Maria da Conceicao, since Maria's father is unknown and we only have her mom's name, Francisca de Jesus.  I think I noticed from another post on this group it was mentioned that da Conceicao is not a surname.

Thanks again for your help :)

Julie

Cheri Mello

Jul 20, 2022, 2:11:13 PM7/20/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julie H,

That marriage occurred in 1876 and they left off the bride's age. However, both needed parental consent. Bride's *typically* were not younger than 16. So start looking in Ginetes in 1860 for a Maria born to a pai incognito and a Francisca de Jesus. Work your way back in time about 3-4 years. If that doesn't work, go back to 1860 and come forward a couple of years. And cross your fingers that there's only 1 Francisca de Jesus in Ginetes having a baby out of wedlock.

Good luck,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

Jul 20, 2022, 2:35:37 PM7/20/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and baptisms from about 1860 FORWARD will mention Maria's grandparents (Francisca's parents). Before 1860, they typically don't mention the grandparents, but some priests will mention them.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

JR

Jul 20, 2022, 8:49:11 PM7/20/22
to Azores Genealogy
I dug this up while waiting for the heavy rains to fall.

 Ancestors of Beatriz

Generation No. 1

        1.  Beatriz, born 30 Mar 1897 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.  She was the daughter of 2. Joao Vicente de Medeiros and 3. Maria da Conceicao.

Generation No. 2

        2.  Joao Vicente de Medeiros, born 15 Dec 1856 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.  He was the son of 4. Vicente Jose de Medeiros and 5. Vitoria Emilia de Jesus.  He married 3. Maria da Conceicao 19 Mar 1876 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

        3.  Maria da Conceicao, born 10 Sep 1855 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.  She was the daughter of 6. Pai Incognito and 7. Francisca de Jesus.

Child of Joao Medeiros and Maria is:

        1                 i.    Beatriz, born 30 Mar 1897 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

Generation No. 3

        4.  Vicente Jose de Medeiros, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.  He was the son of 8. Jose Francisco de Medeiros and 9. Maria Jacinta.  He married 5. Vitoria Emilia de Jesus 10 Jan 1855 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

        5.  Vitoria Emilia de Jesus, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.  She was the daughter of 10. Jose de Viveiros and 11. Maria Joaquina.

Children of Vicente Medeiros and Vitoria are:

        2                 i.    Joao Vicente de Medeiros, born 15 Dec 1856 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes; married Maria da Conceicao 19 Mar 1876 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

                         ii.    Maria, born 17 Apr 1858 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

        6.  Pai Incognito  He married 7. Francisca de Jesus.

        7.  Francisca de Jesus, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.  She was the daughter of 14. Jose Cabral and 15. Maria de Jesus.

Child of Pai Incognito and Francisca is:

        3                 i.    Maria da Conceicao, born 10 Sep 1855 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes; married Joao Vicente de Medeiros 19 Mar 1876 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

Generation No. 4

        8.  Jose Francisco de Medeiros, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.  He married 9. Maria Jacinta.

        9.  Maria Jacinta, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

Children of Jose Medeiros and Maria are:

        4                 i.    Vicente Jose de Medeiros, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes; married (1) Joaquina Antonia 28 Aug 1846 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes; married (2) Vitoria Emilia de Jesus 10 Jan 1855 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

                         ii.    Jose Francisco de Medeiros, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes; married Maria Augusta de Jesus in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes; born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

        10.  Jose de Viveiros, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.  He married 11. Maria Joaquina.

        11.  Maria Joaquina, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

Children of Jose Viveiros and Maria are:

        5                 i.    Vitoria Emilia de Jesus, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes; married Vicente Jose de Medeiros 10 Jan 1855 in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

                         ii.    Manuel, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

                        iii.    Ana, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

        14.  Jose Cabral, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.  He married 15. Maria de Jesus.

        15.  Maria de Jesus, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes.

Child of Jose Cabral and Maria is:

        7                 i.    Francisca de Jesus, born in Sao Sebastiao dos Ginetes; married Pai Incognito.

Cheri Mello

Jul 21, 2022, 1:35:38 PM7/21/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Repost for Julie H,lyra2828 at gmail.com (Scroll - problems reposting from digest to the correct thread).....

Hi JR,

Wow, I can't thank you enough for filling in so many blanks in my family tree!  Just curious how you were able to obtain so much information so quickly.  I don't know if I would have gotten it all myself.  You truly are a master at this!   Would you happen to know how I might get the dates of birth for the 3rd and 4th generations?

Thank you again!!

Julie

JR

Jul 21, 2022, 4:09:26 PM7/21/22
to Azores Genealogy
Nothing special. Just search as per Cheri Mello advice. Here is the site: http://www.culturacores.azores.gov.pt/ig/registos/Default.aspx

Happy to help you get started.

JR

Cheri Mello

Jul 21, 2022, 4:20:47 PM7/21/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
It's easier to navigate the CCA site by going through Tombo.pt (Tombo.pt/en for English). You type Ginetes in the left column and hit enter. On the next page, click on Ginetes.
Tombo.pt will show you EVERYTHING on one page that is available for Ginetes (the CCA doesn't do that. You have to click on each category to see if any records are available). Ginetes has some legitimizations available:
image.png