St. John's Cemetery in New Bedford look up

Cheri Mello

Dec 22, 2022, 4:03:01 PM12/22/22
to Azores Genealogy
Anyone have a copy of "St. John's Cemetery Gravestone Inscriptions" by Gil and Pat Amaral? That cemetery is in New Bedford, MA.

I'm looking for Joaquina da Paixão (Medeiros) Pereira (22 Mar 1891 - 5 Jun 1934). Her obituary says she was buried in the family plot.

Does the book list her and how is it organized? Does it list others in the plot? Her husband was João Pereira and she had a baby, Jose, that died in the 19-teens. Maybe her mom is buried with her too. Who knows.

Thanks, Cheri
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

cara...@aol.com

Dec 22, 2022, 6:10:34 PM12/22/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cheri,
I checked the book but I can’t find them. I even looked under Ferreira, in case they misread the “P” for an “F”. No luck. Sorry.

My family has a plot there. It’s not listed in the book either. The marker is long and flat and just says, “Tavares” on it. There are about 12 people buried there and some were not by the name of Tavares. Luckily, my great-Aunt went to the office there and after a big argument with the woman there, she got a copy of the card that lists all those buried there. Tavares was my great,great-grandfather.
Good luck!

Cheri Mello

Dec 22, 2022, 6:16:55 PM12/22/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sherry.

I think the Amarals walked the cemetery? That's how they created that book. What a huge undertaking!
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

cara...@aol.com

Dec 22, 2022, 7:10:19 PM12/22/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I believe you are right, they walked the cemetery. I’ve been there many times. I was raised in MA and then moved west. I have had many family members buried in that cemetery on my Mom’s side. Her father’s side is listed in the book because they had their own headstones. My grandmother’s side aren’t listed at all. 😞 I have found a few on either findagrave.com or BillionGraves. I can’t recall which at the moment. I’m guessing you have tried that already.

Cheri Mello

Dec 22, 2022, 7:50:29 PM12/22/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, Find a Grave has a Juanita Pereira. They only have the birth year which matches. No death year. It may be her and the person misentered it on Find a Grave. I'll have to call or email the office next week.
Thanks again!
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Boyd McKee Kitchen

Dec 22, 2022, 8:47:32 PM12/22/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
While we live in Utah, we go to Massachusetts and Rhode Island often to visit with our daughter's family. If you would like us to check on the cemetery on our next visit, we would try to oblige.

Boyd

Cheri Mello

Dec 22, 2022, 8:49:44 PM12/22/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Boyd,

Let me call them next week. If they don't return my call, I'll ask for your help. Thanks! Cheri
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheryl Lawrence Wilson

Dec 22, 2022, 11:24:15 PM12/22/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cheri,

I live a half mile from the cemetery, and wouldn't mind riding around to see what I can find. Do you have a section or street #? We have no snow on the ground here yet, so I can still read the markers.

- Cheryl Lawrence Wilson

Cheri Mello

Dec 23, 2022, 7:07:11 PM12/23/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cheryl,

Thanks. The book has been searched and it seems they are not listed, so I guess there's no stone. I'll call next week and see what the office says.

From Diario de Noticias, June 5, 1934:

Counting 43 years of age, passed away this morning Mrs. Joaquina de Medeiros Pereira, wife of Mr. João Pereira, of number 56 Clifford Street and mother of Mrs. Maria de Medeiros, 179 Show Street, Beatriz, João and Manuel Pereira.

The deceased was born in the parish of Ribeira das Tainhas, S. Miguel, Azores and had been in this country for 32 years.

In addition to the widower and children mentioned above, she leaves her mother Mrs. Perpetua de Medeiros and a grandson.

The funeral, in charge of the agency Antonio J. Anthony & Co., 369 Main Street, North Fairhaven, will take place on Thursday, at 8:15 am, in the church of the Immaculate Conception, where there will be a solemn mass of "requim " at 9 o'clock.

The corpse will be buried in the cemetery of S. João Baptista in the family lot.
So the obituary doesn't say what section the family lot is. Because Joaquina was the only child of Perpetua to live to adulthood, I figure they'd be together. Joaquina's husband died in the 1970s, but he's buried with wife 2. I'll call next week and see if I can find out more.