Post 1910 documents

120 views
Skip to first unread message

Stargazer Labradors

unread,
Sep 1, 2026, 11:15:05 AMSep 1
to Azores Genealogy
Could any one send me in the right direction to request death records in Fenais da Ajuda Sao Miguel Azores after 1910
Thank you so very much. 


With kindness,
Wendi Shaw

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 2, 2026, 11:56:05 AMSep 2
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Wendi,

Fenais da Ajuda belongs to the council of Ribeira Grande. You need to contact the Registo Civil de Ribeira Grande with the name of the deceased, the date, and the freguesia ( Fenais da Ajuda). You'll have to provide your Portuguese I.D. and pay the fee. There's a website you can order from and submit everything, but I'm unable to locate it at the moment.

If you don't have a Portuguese I.D., you can have Joao Ventura retrieve the record for you (provided you know the date). heroi99 at yahoo.com

Cheri
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to azores+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/1779434890.1213135.1788231135510%40mail.yahoo.com.

Stargazer Labradors

unread,
Sep 3, 2026, 11:06:44 AMSep 3
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for the information. 


With kindness,
Wendi Shaw

Maria Sousa

unread,
Sep 7, 2026, 4:16:25 PMSep 7
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I believe this is the website Cheri is referring to:


A few days ago, I requested a marriage certificate for 1958.   I received my "paid" receipt but I have not yet received the marriage information.   I signed in without portuguese ID.   After Cheri's comment, I am wondering if that is why I haven't received it.  I am going to give them a week before I reach out to them.  


Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 7, 2026, 4:25:11 PMSep 7
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, I not sure. The site looks different.

My Google search pulled up this, but it looks wrong too.

It does say something about an ID card, but it doesn't specify which country. I swear the one I'm thinking of said you needed an Portuguese ID. That's why I refer people to João Ventura, the archivist.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Stargazer Labradors

unread,
Sep 7, 2026, 4:39:14 PMSep 7
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I was actually going to come here to let others know that you can order the birth, death and marriage certificates. From civil online, you just need an account. I have not received the search yet but I’m hopeful. Thank you again all. 


With kindness,
Wendi Shaw

Maria Sousa

unread,
Sep 8, 2026, 11:49:29 PMSep 8
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cheri,

The link you provided directs you to the link I provided.   When I requested the marriage certificate, I went in with no portuguese ID, just my US address, phone number and email address (the option is there to go in with your portuguese ID).  I was able to pay the 10 euros with my credit card and today I received the marriage certificate.    All went well and I received the certificate within a week.  



Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 9, 2026, 12:38:33 PMSep 9
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Maria, it's been a long time since I looked at the site and it used to say have your Portuguese I.D. And I've been telling people they needed a Portuguese ID. But things change so perhaps that is what has happened and the Portuguese ID is no longer needed - at least for now.

I'm wonder if I order a 1954 death if they will block out the cause of death. They were doing that at one point a few years ago. But things change, so I'm wondering if I'd get the cause of death now. Anyone order a mid-20th century obito and get the cause of death?

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 11:27:21 AM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Well I ordered the1954 death certificate online from the Civil Registry in Vila Franca (on Sao Miguel). It only took 1 day. It was typed, not a scan that was in the book. I also have a picture of the obito from the church. The Civil Registry one basically said that he died at 10 p.m. and was buried in the public cemetery (widower of, parents, age, birth location,etc). No cause of death (rats)! The church one said he received his last rites.

So if you are after the cause of death from the Civil Registry, they won't give it to you. I don't know if you went there and consulted in person if they would let you see it.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

MaryAnn Santos

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 11:59:04 AM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Why block out the cause of death? It’s most helpful to have this knowledge for one’s own health records. When I obtained my grandfather’s certificate it included the cause. 


MaryAnn Santos


Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 12:23:53 PM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to azo...@googlegroups.com
They didn't block it out, they just didn't include it. Joao Ventura says because of privacy reasons. My opinion is that after one dies, the privacy thing dies with them. Yes, I was after the cause of death for health reasons. He was 93. I wanted to know what they thought the cause of death was in 1954.

Or they could at least not tell the requester the cause of death for 50 years or some number.  Just my thought.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Ângela Loura

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 12:30:33 PM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Unless you order a photocopy from the original book, the  digital certificate will only include names, dates, places and possibly addresses.

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 12:35:04 PM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Angela,

They can do that through this site?

Or do I request directly from the respective registry?
Thanks, Cheri
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 12:43:46 PM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Angela,

P.S. If I can request a photocopy from the book, can you tell me how to do it on that site? https://www.civilonline.mj.pt/CivilOnline/

It was a fill in the blank form and I filled in the blanks.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Ângela Loura

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 12:45:26 PM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cheri,
It has to be done directly with the registry office in question. But it's important to emphasize that what you want is a photocopy of the original certificate; otherwise, they will send or forward the digital version.
Sometimes it's necessary to argue that we need the original to validate handwriting, signatures, or whatever else isn't in the digital version, because not civil registry employee is willing to get the original records and scan it. I've had this issue last year: the lady got the original book (right in front of me), inserted the info in the website, and handed me the digital certificate instead of a copy from the original... 

Cheri Mello

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 12:46:31 PM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Angela, OK, got it. Thanks!
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages