FW: Winter classes + writing tip

Austin Filmmaker

Dec 3, 2014, 4:42:37 PM12/3/14
to austinf...@googlegroups.com

From: screenpla...@gmail.com [mailto:screenpla...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Jill -The Screenplay Workshop
Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:00 AM
To: regi...@thescreenplayworkshop.org
Subject: Winter classes + writing tip

If you are having trouble viewing, click to view this in a browser

The Screenplay Workshop

Visit our website | Winter 2015 Newsletter | Visit us on Facebook

IN THIS ISSUE

• Winter Classes - Register Now!
• Call for Testimonials
• Screenwriting Tip
• Alumni News

Winter Classes - Register Now!

The Screenplay Workshop classroomRegister ASAP for the best selection and to ensure your choice is not filled or cancelled! Here are our Winter offerings:

SCREENWRITING FUNDAMENTALS
Learn in 5 weeks everything you must know to write a screenplay.
Choose:
- TUESDAY group (7-9:30 pm, Jan 6-Feb 3)
- THURSDAY group (7-9:30 pm, Jan 8-Feb 5)
- SATURDAY group (1:30-4 pm, Jan 10-Feb 7)
See syllabus
Tuition: $245

MASTER CLASS
Write a feature-length script or script outline in 10 weeks.
Choose:
- TUESDAY group (7-9:30 pm, Jan 6-Mar 10)
- THURSDAY group (7-9:30 pm, Jan 8-Mar 12)
- SATURDAY group (7-9:30 pm, Jan 10-Mar 14)
See syllabus
Tuition: $445
(Master Class Alumni: take $50 off)

PRIVATE CONSULTATION & INSTRUCTION
is also available. See more info on our website.

TO REGISTER
Just hit "Reply" and e-mail us with which workshop group you are interested in, and we'll email back to get you enrolled right away!

Call for Testimonials

Has the Nutshell Technique changed the way you approach screenwriting and storytelling?

That's what most students and clients tell me -- it completely changes not only their approach to screenwriting but even how they watch movies.

If the Nutshell Technique has changed things for you, I'd love to have a new testimonial from you. Please email me (jill at thescreenplayworkshop dot org) and let me know how the Nutshell Technique and The Screenplay Workshop have helped you.

In January, I'll be videotaping testimonials for my book trailer. Let me know in your email if I can contact you about videotaping you. I'd really appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Jill Chamberlain
Founding Director
The Screenplay Workshop

Screenwriting Tip:
Limit your use of the word "is"

When writing action, generally you want to use only active verbs ("She runs, skips, stumbles, stampedes," etc.) Occasionally, you may want to show that an action is already in progress when another character enters a scene. In this case you might use what is known grammatically as the progressive aspect, which uses "is" with a present participle (the verb form ending in -ing). "He is washing the dishes" and "She is fixing dinner" are examples.

The only other time you would use "is" would be when describing someone or something: "Sharon is the tallest of the kids" or "His desk is old and worn." Frankly, that makes for boring screenwriting, especially when it is used often. As much as possible, everything should be active. Sharon should be doing something when we meet her, and not just be being the tallest kid! "Sharon, the tallest of the kids, rushes up to him" is a better introduction for her.

Even the desk can be made a more active part of the scene. Let's try: "His old, worn desk sits in the corner." In a literal sense, it's doing the same thing as the previous desk, just being there, old and worn. But describing it as sitting makes it seem more present and almost active. "Sits" suggests to me that perhaps the owner placed it specifically in that corner. His desk belongs in that corner, and it's almost as if it's waiting for its owner.

Okay, I may be pushing it with the waiting, but I think you'll agree with me at least that it's a less boring, more active sounding sentence than the previous one. The point is: try to use active verbs even when describing inanimate objects for more compelling screenwriting.

Alumni News

Two alumni were recognized Academy Nicholl Fellowship this year. Rosaia Shepard was a semifinalist with The City of N.O. and Andrew Olson was a quarterfinalist with The Bubblegum Killer. Given out by the Oscars organization, the Nicholl Fellowship is -- hands down -- the most prestigious screenplay competition that there is.

Andrew Olson also scored another screenwriting assignment. Along with his sometimes co-writer Liz Belile, they were hired to adapt a Southern Gothic novel for the screen.

Hannah Feller won Best Original Screenplay at Carmel International Film Festival for her script Swiftwater. This is the second year in a row for her at Carmel: she won Best Original Screenplay for her script The Turnaround in 2013.

Amy Quick Parrish sold a screenplay for a short film. Also her dramatic webseries, Into Dust, screened this fall at LA Skins Fest, a premier Native American film festival.

Alumni: be sure to email us about your news. We love to hear from you! Email ne...@thescreenplayworkshop.org.

The Screenplay Workshop is on Twitter as @jillchamberlain. To follow The Screenplay Workshop on Twitter, you need to follow @jillchamberlain.

Have you "liked" The Screenplay Workshop's Facebook page yet? Do so by clicking here and you'll get automatic program updates in your News Feed. Also you'll find there links to awards-season screenplays you can download.

Copyright ©2014 Jill Chamberlain/The Screenplay Workshop
All Rights Reserved

"I love the Nutshell Technique! It simplifies story structure in a way that enabled me to finally get a whole story down on paper. Really everything I learned feels so valuable. I can't believe how much I learned in just one class!"

- Lori Smith

The Screenplay Workshop - 3710 Cedar Street, Austin, Texas 78705
www.thescreenplayworkshop.org

The Screenplay Workshop Newsletter

You're receiving this email from The Screenplay Workshop because you attended one of our workshops or requested information. If you don't want to receive these quarterly announcements and special offers, just hit REPLY and type "unsubscribe" in the Subject line, and you will be removed immediately.