Can one be both pro-capital-punishment and pro-life?

Dingbat

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Jul 13, 2022, 10:24:37 PM7/13/22
to Atheism vs Christianity
Lewis wrote:
We may have different definitions of pro-life. In the USA, pro-life is largely rabidly in favor of execution, and probably would like to see all executions carried out in public.
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/HTuzyE6nnsw/m/N1WZVMMjAwAJ

Dingbat

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Jul 16, 2022, 3:14:17 AM7/16/22
to Atheism vs Christianity
Jerry Friedman wrote:
The way I remember  it is that "pro-life" originally meant opposed to abortion, capital punishment, and euthanasia and assisted suicide -- that is, following the teachings of the Catholic Church on those subjects. The term was co-opted by people who were against abortion regardless of their views on the other subjects.

LL LL

<spectacular8360@gmail.com>
Jul 16, 2022, 2:15:41 PM7/16/22
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
People are pro life only about certain lives. People who are truly pro-life would certainly be against capital punishment as well as abortion. Euthanasia and assisted suicide are different because the person wants to die and probably has  a valid reason for wanting to die. People who use the term “pro-life” should define what they mean by it whenever they use it. IMO, a person who is against abortion but supports capital punishment is not pro-life.  That person is should  be defined as anti-abortion. But most will continue to define themselves as pro-life because they think it sounds better—even if they are contradicting themselves.

Lois

On Jul 16, 2022, at 12:14 AM, 'Dingbat' via Atheism vs Christianity <atheism-vs-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

LL LL

<spectacular8360@gmail.com>
Jul 17, 2022, 2:14:50 PM7/17/22
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
👍👏

On Jul 16, 2022, at 12:14 AM, 'Dingbat' via Atheism vs Christianity <atheism-vs-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--

Dingbat

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Jul 19, 2022, 1:23:50 PM7/19/22
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 11:15:41 AM UTC-7 spectacular8360 wrote:
People are pro life only about certain lives. People who are truly pro-life would certainly be against capital punishment as well as abortion. Euthanasia and assisted suicide are different because the person wants to die and probably has  a valid reason for wanting to die. People who use the term “pro-life” should define what they mean by it whenever they use it. IMO, a person who is against abortion but supports capital punishment is not pro-life.  That person is should  be defined as anti-abortion. But most will continue to define themselves as pro-life because they think it sounds better—even if they are contradicting themselves.

Lois

According to Brian Launderie, he merely assisted Gabby Petito to in committing suicide.
She's not around to disgree. Hypothetically suppose that she agrees. Does that make OK?

Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie. Courtesy of the Schmidt and Petito family
  • Brian Laundrie's notebook appears to include a confession that he killed Gabby Petito.
  • "I ended her life. I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted," it said.
  • Laundrie also said he chose to kill himself because he couldn't "live another day without her."

LL LL

<spectacular8360@gmail.com>
Jul 19, 2022, 3:57:10 PM7/19/22
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
Each case has to be closely examined. Take no one’s word as the truth.