Easiest way to adjust telescope

bewitit

Feb 5, 2007, 10:26:54 PM2/5/07
to ASTRONOMY101 - Astronomy 101
I recently just got a refracting telescope, and i've not had very much
experience whatsoever with any kind of telescope, just sky mapping
mainly. But I can't seem to get anything to show up through the
telescope. I use the finderscope first and then adjust from there, but
still not getting much. It's pretty dark around here so that's not a
problem. I get more from my binoculars than the telescope.

Venkatesh Sundararajan

Feb 5, 2007, 11:55:08 PM2/5/07
to ASTRON...@googlegroups.com
Probably your finder scope and main scope are not aligned properly. First align these during day time focussing on a fixed target such as a number on a automobile number plate, top of a high mast, distant mountain peak any similar target situated about 600 meters and beyond. Since you have not described the mount you are using i am unable to provide detailed procedure. However, please focus the object in the centre of the eyepiece in the main scope first and then position the object in the centre of crosshairs in the finder scope. Please note to do this procedure before every viewing session.

Clear skies

venkatesh, bangalore, india.