Buying first telescope

Galen_Cathal

Mar 22, 2009, 7:25:39 PM3/22/09
to ASTRONOMY101 - Astronomy 101
Hello everyone,

i am writing to ask your opinions on buying a telescope.
I've always been interested in astronomy, and have been observing with
binoculars and the naked eye. Now that I can buy a specific tool for
stargazing, i.e. a telescope, i am finding it hard to choose one!

I wanted to know what some of you, more experienced in the field,
think would be a good buy... I am setting a maximum of $1000, and was
inclined to buy a Celestron, probably Newtonian or Schmit
Cassegrain...
But I really am in the dark here!
I wanted to buy a somewhat powerful telescope for viewing nebulae and
galaxies. If I win the lottery in the next weeks i know it'll be easy
choosing one, but since i am only willing to spend between $800-$1000,
the task becomes a bit harder, at least for me with very little
experience with telescopes.

Can you give me some info on what you think would be the best buy?

Thanks in advance!

Teacher E

Mar 25, 2009, 10:41:48 AM3/25/09
to ASTRONOMY101 - Astronomy 101
Hi,
I have a Meade Cassegrain 105mm Telescope.
It's great for planets and the Moon but you should go for a larger
aperture for galaxies etc.
Regards,