Economist: Internet in China

Ijaz Qureshi

Feb 2, 2008, 2:26:27 AM2/2/08
to Argosy San Francisco Business Club

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dr. Ijaz A. Qureshi <Ij...@niit.edu.pk>
Date: Feb 1, 2008 7:49 PM
Subject: NIIT_MIS_FALL_2007 Economist: Internet in China

Respected Faculty,

I found this interesting article about Internet in China in this week's Economist. Article talks about the users being doubled compare to previous year. I looked at this article from Opportunities point of view! Currently 210 Million users, soon it would pass America.

How many IT professionals China would need to keep running the systems, what impact it would have on the fastest growing economy. How it would change the subcontinent as our Indian Friends are becoming the biggest player in the software on the globe and looking aggressively to have hardware capabilities…already a PC under $80 has been introduced in the world market. And not only this, world's 100 luxury stores, including Tiffany's, Nordstrom, Macys, Louis Vuitton, you name it, have their stores or planning to have stores their soon.

Amazing article!

Most Respectfully,

Dr. Ijaz A. Qureshi,

Assistant Professor
NUST Institute of Information Technology
National University of Sciences and Technology
Street # 8. Chaklala Scheme III, Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Off: +92 51 928 0658 Ext 141

Cell: +92 344 525 3727
http://www.niit.edu.pk

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are totally confidential and it is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are sent. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message. Neither the sender nor the company for which he or she works accepts any liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

believed to be clean.

--
Dr. Ijaz A. Qureshi
Assistant Professor
Institute of Information Technology
National University of Sciences and Technology
Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Off: +92 51 928 0658 Ext 141
Cell: +92 344 525 3727
http://www.niit.edu.pk
http://www.IjazConsulting.com
IjazQ...@Cal.Berkeley.Edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are totally confidential and it is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are sent. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message. Neither the sender nor the company for which he or she works accepts any liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
The internet in China.doc

Kebede D. Gashaw

Feb 2, 2008, 11:35:24 AM2/2/08
to ArgosySanFranci...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr. Ijaz:  Last August, I visited China on a fact finding tour organized by the Chinese Fruit and Vegetable Canning Association, largely focused on vegetable  production (processing tomatoes).  After the official visit, I spent a week or more doing research largely centered on the economic of raw crop production and processing costs studies.  But, through out my visit everywhere I went, I saw the realities on the ground and was very much impressed on the development of the country. Not only in the cities but in Rural areas, in infrastructure development, roads (freeways), rail lines and airport facilities and the like. The whole time I was there, I felt the jolt of economic activity all around me. The people are industrious, the development activities were impressive and it looked like the spirit of the people has awakened  from a long slumber and just getting its stride for even more economic development.  I met with former and current communist party officials at the local and provincial levels, who seem to take it in strides and are proud of the achievements around them even though some times things seem to go against their will or wishes.  Young entrepreneurs making unbelievable feats of transformations in very fast paced and aggressive ways. Most of the corporations are filled with young people just out of college in prominent positions with Little or no real world experience but eager to learn from anyone that can give them whatever insights, techniques or suggestions to improve their skills and understanding of whatever field they are in. The building boom is unbelievable everywhere you go massive amount of construction is going on.  one of the things that impressed me was the fact that in a smaller city, I visisted a bank and all the tellers were sitted behind a glass enclosure and after you connduct your business with teller there is a simple small electronic monitor and you (the customer) would have to give a rating of the service provided by the teller right there and then, before you leave the window. That process, to me, is an indication that the bank is commited to a cultural transformation  to make service, competent, professional and courteous service, a priority  in conducting its business.  That is just a small example of the changes that are going on in China. I (as an African) was ennvious of the economic development and the transformation of the Chinese people. Ijaz, you are right, there is a teremendous opportunity in China, particularly in the field of IT.   Keep the fire burning in this forum.  I wish you well.

kebede

Ijaz Qureshi

Feb 2, 2008, 12:05:19 PM2/2/08
to ArgosySanFranci...@googlegroups.com