Request information about Australian soil map and database

Newton

Nov 30, 2021, 7:54:14 AM11/30/21
to ArcSWAT
Hi,
I am a beginner in SWAT modelling. Could you please assist how to get Aus soil map and database? Thanks in advance.

Anura Ranwala

Dec 1, 2021, 11:36:18 AM12/1/21
to Newton, ArcSWAT
Try the FAO soil map for the whole world.
Sincerely,
D A J Ranwala
අනුර රන්වල

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 at 18:24, Newton <avrom...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am a beginner in SWAT modelling. Could you please assist how to get Aus soil map and database? Thanks in advance.

Newton

Dec 5, 2021, 11:30:53 AM12/5/21
to ArcSWAT
Hi Anura,

Thank you so much for your reply. I would like to use a soil map from the local database. I would like to know where I can get a soil database for soil if the local soil classification is not listed in the SWAT database. Thanks

Regards
Newton

Natalja C.

Dec 6, 2021, 10:23:59 AM12/6/21
to ArcSWAT
Hello,
You have to consult a soil expert on that (relate "what you have" to "what swat needs").
You can also use PTFs (Pedotransfer functions) to derive those. Again, please find a soil expert and consult them. Some parameters might not be so simple, especially when the granule size class boundaries are different.
Best,
Natalja

Anura Ranwala

Dec 7, 2021, 8:38:20 AM12/7/21
to Newton, ArcSWAT
This is a tricky issue. You should have various soil parameters to add a new soil type to the soul database. The method is given in the appendix.

Ranwala

--
D A J Ranwala
BSc(Eng.),M.Eng., FIE(SL),MIEP(SL),C.EnvP