Calibration of ArcSwat for event based observed discharge in Arid regions

Naveed Ahmed

Dec 1, 2021, 12:12:14 PM12/1/21
to arc...@googlegroups.com
Dear ArcSWAT community,
How I can calibrate the ArcSWAT model whereas I have only event based values of runoff?
There is very least rainfall (very short event) and when there is rainfall as a result of it there is Runoff in the stream. I have monthly runoff records (events based) but only for 3-4 years which are only 6/7 readings. How I can calibrate the model. Moreover, I would also like to let you know that I am using the CFSR data set for model development.
Looking forward to see expert guidelines.

Regards
Naveed

Nyigam Bole

Dec 3, 2021, 7:21:44 AM12/3/21
to ArcSWAT
I am not an expert but just wanted to comment - monthly based readings for 3 years should be 12*3 =36 readings. So how did you end up with only 6/7 readings? Anyways, the number of points simulated for calibration can only reflect the number of observed data according to my knowledge. Other than rainfall data, in your case CFSR, you may also need temperature, relative humidity, wind velocity and solar radiation depending upon the availability of data.

Natalja C.

Dec 3, 2021, 11:36:25 AM12/3/21
to ArcSWAT
Hello,
To my understanding you got all you need:
- Data for where there is runoff;
- Data for when there is no runoff (pcp = 0, runoff (with some lag) =0).
During the calibration, try to match your model to these runoff events when you have data and make sure that Q=0 in other times (when the stream is dry).
Best,
Natalja