HRU creation issue

dr.tj...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2021, 6:32:18 PM12/2/21
to ArcSWAT
I am working on a large basin and have tried multiple times to get through the HRU creation (it runs for HOURS!) and I wind up getting the following errors (in sequence). I can't seem to find anyone else having this issue but hoping someone has or knows what is happening.

I have never experienced this issue and have made many SWAT projects over the years.

My hunch is that there are too many potential HRUs and even though I intend to use thresholds, I can't get through the overlay stage. I plan to reduce the slope classes first but I also know it will run many hours and so also looking for insight as it runs.

Thank you for any insights you may have!!
Tracy
hru_error1.png

hru_error2.png

hru_error3.png

hru_error4.png

Anura Ranwala

Dec 3, 2021, 7:22:00 AM12/3/21
to dr.tj...@gmail.com, ArcSWAT
Try filling the dem and make changes to the parameters in the HRU menue

Ranwala

D A J Ranwala
BSc(Eng.),M.Eng., FIE(SL),MIEP(SL),C.EnvP
Chartered Civil Engineer
Consultant Hydrologist
Hydro Modeler
Chartered Environmental Professional
Phone +94776026479, +94112802811
32/1 2nd Lane , Egodawatte, Boralesgamuwa

dr.tj...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2021, 10:13:27 AM12/3/21
to ArcSWAT
Hi Ranwala and thanks for your response. The DEM is filled during the SWAT delineation process and unfortunately, I can't make it through the overlap process (that's where the issue happens) to make changes in the HRU menu. What I have found by experimenting is that the data sets I am using are simply too high of resolution and resulting in too many initial HRUs during the overlay process. Because I am using ArcSWAT (I failed to mention this), there is a limit on the ACCESS database. I had this happen once before I now recall. If I delineate a smaller area, the HRU generation works fine. I will now work with a lower resolution DEM because that will result in fewer initial HRUs in the overlay portion of the HRU generation and allow me to get to the HRU definition menu and reduce the HRUs further as needed.

I hope this may help others! That error that indicates "VALUE = 286292" appears to be related to a limitation in the ACCESS database when creating the HRU table.

Tracy

Anura Ranwala

Dec 5, 2021, 11:30:45 AM12/5/21
to dr.tj...@gmail.com, ArcSWAT
Thanks . I too learned something from this .

Ranwala