Are UV Sterilizers Good for an Aquarium?

1 view

Carlrs

Jul 17, 2018, 1:26:02 PM7/17/18
to Aquarium pumps
FROM:

Are UV Sterilizers Good for Aquariums Question; Are UV Sterilizers Good for Aquariums?
As a generalization, this is a question that really should not be asked anymore based on research of the benefits of Level 1 Sterilization that includes disease prevention & control, fish immunity based on redox balance, and water clarification.

However while there are few reasons not to have a UV Sterilizer on your aquarium, most of the reasons NOT to have one of these devices is based on myths that simply will not go away despite verified controlled use of these devices.
The other reason to NOT have a UV Sterilizer is the plethora of low cost quality “Category C” UV Sterilizers made by companies such as AquaTop, Jebo, Green Killing Machine, and others that simply do NOT provide level 1 sterilization; ONLY clarification.
You need to look for a “Category A”, or at the very least a “Category B” UV Sterilizer if you want to see some actual Sterilization results beyond clarification.

What I will then look at based on my aquarium service business observations, as well as feedback from others I know in the business as to what are the positives and the negatives. With the negatives I will also look at negatives that are caused by UV Sterilizers of poor dwell time design, poor over all construction, poor quality, and simply poor installation.

UV STERILIZER POSITIVES (based on science and professional use, not here say)

  • At flow rates of 20-25 gph, depending upon dwell time inside UV Sterilizer, a UV Sterilizer will kill or render helpless most pathogenic bacteria
  • A UV Sterilizer will NOT kill beneficial bacteria since these aerobic bacteria reside in the substrate and filter media in a healthy established aquarium
  • A UV Sterilizer will NOT kill copepods in a marine reef aquarium.
    Simple use proves this, as well, the science behind how a UV Sterilizer shows that when correctly plumbed, the UV Sterilizer would not be powerful enough nor would a copepod even get into the UV Sterilizer chamber based on how and where they live and correct pre-filtration prior to water entering the UV.
  • A UV Sterilizer WILL improve Redox Balance resulting improved fish immune response
  • A UV Sterilizer can help slow or occasionally even stop Oodinium, Ich or other single cell aquarium parasite infestation.
    Level 1 Sterilization will slow many of these parasites, if only by improving fish immune response. Level 2 can even kill some single parasites, although not always completely.
    However I should caution a prospective buyer that even the best UV should not be purchased with the belief this will put an end to future Ich, Velvet, Oodinium or related infestations. Purchase a UV as a tool to aid in control and prevention (keyword: TOOL)
  • A UV Sterilizer will clarify an aquarium with cloudy or green water

Carlrs

Jul 18, 2018, 5:05:10 PM7/18/18
to Aquarium pumps
The place to start your search for a TRUE Category A or B UV Sterilizer for your pond or aquarium is here:

Green Water, Cloudy Water, Disease Control by Aquarium or Pond UV SterilizerWhen you buy your UV Sterilizer or replacement part from us, you are buying from a direct seller with
40+ years of UV Sterilization Expertise with useful articles to back up our customers!

ONLY Category A & B UV Sterilizers sold here at AAP, NO Category C
(A)= AAP Vecton/Advantage UV; (B) = AAP Terminator & CUP Internal UVs

• Our Ultra-Violet Sterilizers are effective for Disease Prevention, Green & Cloudy Water Control, & Improved Redox/Fish immunity

• UV Sterilizers and bulbs are safe for freshwater, ponds, and saltwater aquariums;

• Competitively priced PREMIUM UVC replacement bulbs (NOT the lower UVC output lamps sold elsewhere), for many different UV clarifiers; UV Bulbs; Page 1 & Straight Tube UV Bulbs; Page 2 (patented High Output lamps)

For our local customers in Southern Oregon; Why get "Frogged" with higher priced much lower quality UV Sterilizers when you can have the best for less?