Colorado Carpenter Ants

karelleskis

Mar 20, 2005, 2:01:36 PM3/20/05
to Ant-C...@googlegroups.com
I own a 110 year old home at 9200 feet in the Rockies. Like most of the
homes hereabouts we have an infestation of carpenter ants. Many of my
neighbors deal with the problem by using the services of an
exterminator but I have some questions and concerns. I have 3 adult
dogs and an adult cat and we are surrounded by an astonishing variety
of wildlife - avian, insect, reptilian, and mammalian - all of whom are
valuable to me. I am looking for a safe way to eliminate the ants and
protect my house while doing minimal - and preferably NO - damage to
the other critters who share my space, including the spiders. Okay, I
know it's a little abnormal but I love spiders - I have some great
pictures of a spider who lived on my porch 2 summers ago - and would
ideally like a way to dispose of the ants without hurting the spiders.

I have read that Boric acid mixed with sugar water acts as a bait that
ants will carry back to the colony and the boric acid kills them.
Spiders would probably be uninterested in such a concoction so if you
think this would work I will try it. Actually years ago when I lived in
a Philadelphia townhouse we used boric acid to control roaches and it
worked REALLY well. We were the only house on the block that was roach
free.

jwarn...@excite.com

Mar 26, 2005, 6:51:09 PM3/26/05
to Ant-C...@googlegroups.com